Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shore fisherman are under attack again due to the actions of a few @#$^$%^^ out there. Check out the thread on Tidalfish titled "Harpoon needs your help". Seems some guys at Rudee keep forgetting that it is boat channel and enjoy chunking lead at
passing boats. That area will be soon shut down if that keeps up I'm sure. Too much $$$$ passing through there to put up with that mess.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
This is a no win situation

for the shore fisherman! The problem is the boaters have right of way in the channel, it's the law. I fish both side of the fence, from a boat and shore.

If they want to keep fishing at Rudee they need to control themselves. They have a choice, they can haul their lines or throw short. The boaters on the other hand have no choice. I've been in and out of Rudee many times. It is a very narrow channel with no room to give way. In my case what do you think my choice would be, my two $2800 dollar each props or $30 worth of power pro?

I feel for both sides but the fact is the law is on the boaters side in this case. If the shore fisherman don't open their eyes and give way, they will be removed. The ones that understand this need to police the rest or say goodbye to their spot. End of story....Tightlines

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I am with hat on this one. Shore fisherman are gonna lose this battle no matter what. Chunking lead is not the answer unless you want a nice little lawsuit.:eek:

·
Registered
867 Posts
The shame is that the city will not put up a sign that says "NO FISHING BECAUSE A FEW JERKS THREW LEAD AT BOATS"

It will just say "NO FISHING FROM SHORE"

Thus the guys that are the problem will not get the hint and will just cause a problem at another location because the "rich" boaters got their way again and chased them away from another good spot.

Tom

·
Registered
867 Posts
To both sides . . .

How about asking the city to post signs on either side of the channel that say something like?

"The use of the shoreline for recreational fishing is at risk. This privilege will be lost if the harassment of passing boaters does not stop. They have no option but to use this channel to access the ocean. Please retrieve your lines if you feel that they will impede their way and do not cast your lines back out until they are clear."

Give them a chance to clean up their act first. If they can not or will not then my sympathy goes out to those reasonable shore bound fishermen who understand and are courteous.

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.