Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
for the king riggers. I know most of you guys use that type setup off of a pier but has anyone tried it off of the surf? Doesn't sound like a bad idea. I have 4 ft sand spikes with 12 ft rods and would love to get a nice live spot or bunker or eel even out there as far as I could using this method. I know it wouldn't get the bait out as far but it I think I might try it next time at AI.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
I've thought of that myself. On a calm day it could work but I don't know how much distance would be gained. If it was ruff I would think th waves would push th bait in. Let us know how it works.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Those rigs only really function on piers because of their height above the water.

Look at it like this: the secondary line can only travel about 3/4 of the way out on the anchor line, even with the height of a pier, probably less in the surf.

If you can cast an anchor line X number of yards, why not just toss your bait that far and be done with it?

I like the idea of pushing the bait offshore. I'd consider a Lifesaver rig with a balloon or trash bag if you have a westerly wind.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
anybody ever tried a kite like they use in florida for sailfish?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Hey jason do you think if you put rocket lauchers(pole holders) on the front of your truck and then set one of your poles(after you cast it out) in it and then rig the other with your live bait,it might work!! There's always a first time for everything. TRIGGER

·
Registered
107 Posts
the only way i think you could use that setup is if you had a way to get your anchor rod way up in the air like have a rod holder on the top of the cab of your truck or somethingbut like what was previously stated that rigs works best of piers because of the height above the water but the only way to learn is to try stuff so go ahead and try it see what happens.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Jason - Try this...

Take a Cast-A-Bubble and fill halfway with water. This is a regular bobber that has a hole in the middle and a plug that enables you to fill up with water. Anyway...Run the end of your line through the bubble and then put on a swivel. Tie a 4-5' length of leader material to this and put your hook/bait on the end.

When you are done you should have something that looks like this:

------O----=00=-----------|

Leader/Bubble/Swivel/4-5' line/Hook

It is easy to cast out a small live bait as the bubble gives it just enough weight to cast but not sink. It's just a floating Carolina rig. We used them when live lining for bonito on the West coast.

Sandcrab

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I know that the height thing is a big factor but heck I could clip it on my line, climb up on top of my truck and hold my pole as high as I could and let it slide down. Only draw back like flea said the waves pusing it back in slowly. I mean it would be nice to get a live bait out that far without killing it or throwing it off of your hook. Sandcrab that setup I might try too. Thanks for your replies everybody! Tight Lines!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
You could always take a remote controled boat and attach the bait to that. I think I heard of people doing that somewhere.

·
Registered
823 Posts
kayak the bait way out there then just wait

1 - 10 of 10 Posts