Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just moved to Florida and would like to do some fishing. I do not have a boat so I guess I will be doing some beach and or pier fishing. Anyway I do not know what I need to buy, how much I need to spend or anything else for that matter. I really don't even know what I will be fishing for. All of my past fishing experince has been bass fishing in Tennesse from a boat(My Fathers) I do prefer spinning reels to bait casters. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Todd_N- Head west to Anna Maria Island. There were at least two piers there the last time I was there about 10 years ago. They were on the northern and eastern side of the island. Check it out, when I was there in the spring about 10 years past, folks were catching Spanish Mackerel.

To catch one, go with a silver spoon attached to about a foot of black wire leader (black swivel as well). The pre-packaged leaders as well as silver spoons can be bought at Wal-Mart in the fishing section. Throw that spoon out there and reel in as fast as possible. Spinning rod is a little better for this technique. Lots of work but when they are biting, it’s a lot of fun.

Now others on this board live a lot closer to you than me so they will know more than I will about your area. Remember that I have not been down there in a decade also. The silver spoon/black wire/black swivel and fast retrieve is about as basic as you can get. There are a number of other ways to “skin a cat.”

1 - 5 of 5 Posts