Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a storm sinker mold the first few trys the sinker came out some what easy. The last batch i ran threw did not at all and are very difficult to get out. i have smoked the mold with a candle and fluxed the lead two diffrent times. Any ideas what else could be causing this issue.
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
217 Posts
Not sure... Do the edges where it closes have any type of ridge or cupped area? How long do you leave the lead in the mold? More than 2 or 3 seconds? I use a mold release I got from Midway... work great.

Not sure I've ever had that problem... You should be able to see the issue. Look at that mold real well.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I forgot to mention a couple things in my PM. You could try flaming the mold with a candle which is just holding the mold above a candle and allowing the mold cavity to be blackened with soot from the candle. You may also want to try lead mold release agent that is used for bullet casting. I mentioned deburringthe mold in the PM and I would only do that as a last resort. Those molds are difficult to release the cast sinkers from.

John

·
Registered
148 Posts
I preheat all my Molds. .wires etc. Seems to help and if you let the mold set to long after pouring . That makes for harder removal. Plus the faster you pour the better the cast. A colder Room temperature will mess with your molds and your casting pot. Your lead might not be pure enough ... like if you used wheel weights. Could have some foreign Metels in it.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I've never had problems with sinkers of any type, and I also have a storm sinker mold. Most times I've had issues getting pours out of a mold has been as said above about letting the mold get too cold, or with some jig heads with more detail to them. I pour a lot with recycled wheel weights & don't have any issue there either. But, I do make ingots with them first to be sure there's no dirt or paint in them. Most other metals used in wheel weights actually pour easier than lead because they melt at lower temps. If the wheel weights have a lot of antimony in them, that could be a problem as it melts at a higher temp than lead. But that usually creates an issue with the melting pot or filling the mold cavities completely.

Melting points:
Tin 449.5 F
Bismuth 520.6 F
Lead 621.5 F
Antimony 1167 F

·
Registered
771 Posts
Hey guys,
Don't want to preach, but I hope you guys are using some really good vents where you are melting and pouring your lead. I had a good friend pass away last year from complications from lead posioning. He made jigs down in his basement for years. Wife and daugther both had high lead levels. He never gave it a second thought. Just passing time in the winter months. Be safe

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey guys,
Don't want to preach, but I hope you guys are using some really good vents where you are melting and pouring your lead. I had a good friend pass away last year from complications from lead posioning. He made jigs down in his basement for years. Wife and daugther both had high lead levels. He never gave it a second thought. Just passing time in the winter months. Be safe
+1!!! I have an exhaust fan (range hood) set over my melting pots in the basement and out the window....no reason to make life difficult ....for some I will use a respirator too .....I have checked the flow with cig.smoke and it all is leaving out the hood ....I don't do a lot of pouring but when I do I take extra effort to make it semi safe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts