Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I have been surf fishing for some time now using only small rods.I have a 7' Pfleuger and a 7' Shimano.I have had success catching fish, but I am looking to get into deeper water when I can.
Any ideas on a good rod/reel combo.I guess I need a 12'r right?I am thinking my budget will be around $200.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
495 Posts
what are you fishing for? a lot of times when people step up to a heaver its to target a specific species instead of just "what ever bites". that was the case for me as well.

are you looking for a conventional or spinning setup? if you keep your eyes open here on the forums you can find a good selection of both style reels for a good price. and a tica, ugly stick, or other competatively priced rod should fit right into your budget.

i threw a 6501C3 on a 10' tica for the longest time. cost me less than $150 total (rod was used). i recently treated myself to a left handed avet SX but still get by with a 10'er. there is no writen rule that says 12' is the way to go. explore your options... i spent a lot of time at the local tackel shop just playing with reels before i decided on what i wanted.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I always have fun with an All-Star 1266 ten and a half footer! I made mine a conventional for a rocket, but if i had it to do over i would make it a spinner! It can be used for sting silvers(my favorite),or bottom fishing with up to four ounces. I think that the conventional setup is better for distance with monofilament fishing line while throwing metal, but i like to fish a certain place where braided line is the choice which makes me desire a spinner. Tough call i guess you gotta get two of them!

The rod was built by Wayne Fowlkes and I do believe he has some more of them. They may seem a little pricey but if you take care of it the rod will truly be around for generations!:popcorn:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Seeing as you are from Va beach ( as I am ) a 11ft is actually good enough but its a personal choice. I have an all star 11ft and a Daiwa 11 ft. 3in that cast far enough for me. A 11-12 ft will do the same but the 12 will cast farther. At the lesner or neighboring waters the 11 will be fine, if you want to venture to sandbridge or hatteras maybe the 12 would suit better. :fishing::popcorn:

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
didn't say casting or spinning. get a rod that will handle what you are going to need to use. even a good reel will die if you don't clean it. 10' 0ff the beach here is fine if you have a good cast. OBX is a new story. good luck

·
Registered
547 Posts
surf combo is a 10ft penn, got t tbps for $79. I absolutely love it. I have a Quantum xr-6 long stroke reel, which I am not crazy about, but it outcasts my penn 700. I would get a penn or all-star rod, or maybe a tica; anything between 10-12ft. If I could get my reel of choice, it would probably be a bait-runner or the equivalent, because I do some catfishin and drummin from the shore and i'd like to have the bait clicker and free-spool option.
If you want a really sweet casting spinner, I have a smaller shimano sahara, it seems to perform just as well as the sedonas, but at 50$ less.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.