Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello out there!
I'd like some advice on getting setup for surf fishing. During visits to my father I've been fishing beaches around Charleston, S.C. (casting rod/reel)with a 8ft Med/Hvy 1-4oz Berkley and Ambassador 6500TCR. I cast this setup well usually throwing live or cut baits. I dont typically catch much which i attribute to the times of year I visit but would like to start taking some weekend trips to the coast of Va. and/or N.C. (I live in Central Va.)

I prefer Casting gear and looking for ideas on something for blues, stripers, drum etc. and would like to try a longer rod and new reel.......around $250.00????

Any other info on tackle and gear is appreciated.

Id also like some info on when and where to go..!?

Last but not least..... I have a $250 "store credit" with Outdoor World..... hopefully they'll have what is recommended!!??

Thanks for any help!
regards, fairway

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
What you need to do is transfer that credit to me so I can pick up all those thousands of yards of Spiderwire and sharks hooks I have been drolling over. Heh, what part of VA are ya from? I am a VA transplant now living in Georgia.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
fairway,I believe th Ocean Master 12' combo paired with a Daiwa 30XHV will run ya about $215-220 at BPS. :D

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Take CDog's recommendation. The BPS OM rods are great! I have the 12' and a Daiwa conventional reel and love it! :)

BPS has some newer OM rods but they do not handle the heavier weights. If you decide to get this rod (Outstanding reviews, everyone loves them!) just make sure the rod you get at BPS says "OM 12SC 12' Surf Casting 5-9 oz lures". This is the rod you want. :)

The Diawa reels are legendy for handling large fish in the surf - particully drum and large stripers. Guys from OBX and AI swear by them. I know CDog and I are both happy with ours. ;) I can't wait to tackle the drum, large stripers, and sharks at Assateague Island this year with my setup!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input... I'll check the OM/Daiwa setup tonite hope its on their website.

I fished some at Edisto Island SC last week with a new 15ft Med/Hvy Ugly Stik and a Penn Spinning reel (dont recall the model) I purchased at BPS on my way down to S.C. anyway..... I could not cast that setup worth a damn.... a lot of elevation and not much distance and was cutting my finger from holding the line during casts. I thought the long pole and spinning reel would allow me better distance and keep the line out of the breaking surf. Anyway thats why I have the BPS credit. Im looking forward to getting some new gear and hooking up...... tired of getting skunked...... Thanks again, Fairway

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gentleman, I have located the OM rod at BPS but only reel I see close is the Daiwa
SL-X40HV (alos lists a 50) which appears to have a digital line... I cant seem to find the '30' series.... any advice? Thanks Fairway

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Fairway,are you checking online?They have th 40 an 50 pictured but have part # below. At least th last time I checked.Any whoo nothing beats a "In person" visit to th store.Which store do ya go to?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CDog.... I'm looking online and have the latest master catalog as well.

I see the SL-X40HV and SL-50X50HV online but no 30. There isnt much Daiwa casting reels in catalog.

I like the look of the Penn 975 baitcasting reel though its rated for [email protected] a little pricy too but sure looks nice! Im not sure why they list the new 975CS model without level wind...... Is there a benfit to non level wind? Im not sure if Im ready for the added frustration! Thanks for your advice....

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
fairway,th daiwa is a non level wind.You will get more distance (IMHO) from that than a levelwind.If ya go to SC I would take a detour an head to th BPS in Charolotte.They will have what ya need an if ya do go ask fer Rick an tell him I sent ya.Either way they do have th 30 unless sumptin has changed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CDog.....thanks again for the feedback.
How much distance is gained with non level wind verses levelwind? I assume on a non level wind you have to "thumb spool" back and forth to get even wind other wise you get tangles and poor casting? Though with some practice its probably not that bad I just hate birdnests and not sure of addd frustration especially as a relative greenhorn!

I probably wont be down Charlotte for a while but will ask for Rick and tell him you sent me when i do. Where are you located?
Regards

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Levelwinds are great if you plan on casting lures all day. The problem arises when you try to use them for surf fishing and your shocker knot doesn't go though the levelwind smoothly or gets stuck. After a couple of casts (or when you have the big guy on the end of your line), your shocker breaks and you wonder why. Fish of a lifetime lost.

For surf fishing, avoid the levelwinds. :eek:
For lure fishing, levelwinds make it easy. :)

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
fairway,sandcrabs right about th levelwind for lures.I can't say how much you will gain without a levelwind.You do have to guide th line on with your thumb but after awhile it will become second nature.

I'm located just east of Richmond.My Bro lives in Charolotte so everytime I visit him I visit BPS. ;)

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Fairway and Cdog.....Adam told me via EM that Charlotte had the OM ,30shv combo on sale for $199. Fairway ,you should jump on that. the R

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Huskymd....call 'em and have it mailed to you . the R

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
One sweet setup at one sweet price! Just make sure that the OM rod in the combo can handle 5-9 ounces. They just came out with some "Lighter" OM's that handle less weight. Get the heavier model rod and you won't be dissatisfied.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK.... IM GOING TO CALL THEM AND LOOKS LIKE I'LL HAVE SOME SPARE CHANGE..... ANYBODY RECOMMEND LINE AND A COUPLE OF LURES..??
THANKS GUYS!

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
all caps mean you are yelling... :)

must be excited about the new setup. this post was helpful to me since I'm thinking about getting a conventional setup end of this year...

12' Oceanmaster Heavy with Daiwa 30XHV or Penn 525Mag...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts