Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
As some of you already know, I am a newb to fishing. I already purchased my first rod/reel combo. Its a Mitchell rod/Advanta reel. It was just $12. Its side says 6 6"-Medium-Lure 1/8-3/4 oz-trilene 4-12 lb.

I don't have a boat so I will be sticking to pier/shore and lake fishing. Is this a good enough reel and rod? I was at bass pro and saw a Shakespeare Ugly Cat SP Rod and Reel Combo for only $30, no line though, and I thought it was a good deal compared to the other ugly stick rod/reel combos.

Everywhere I read people talk about how dependable their ugly sticks are and I thought that it might be a good buy. But do I even need anything that heavy duty? I mean I am still an angler virgin:redface: I have been out twice so far, but its cold, so no fish. But I just want to be ready when the season starts and have the proper equipment. I have been heavily reading on baits and lures, but I have surely neglected info on rods and reels. Any info you guys can give will surely help!

Thanks,
James C.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
It will be enough to get you started. It should work for flounder, small bluefish and croaker, plus whatever you are targetting in fresh water.

Eventually you may end up wanting to target bigger fish like striper, at which point you will want to beef up on your gear.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Get the best that YOUR BUDGET WILL ALLOW. I agree with Emannuel, it will get you started. The best thing to do is get out and fish. As time goes by and you continue reading the posts on here, you'll eventually figure out what suits you best. Not sure of your age or type of work you do, but you'll probably have to take another job to pay for all that equipment you are eventually going to want to buy, most of which will be unnecessary, LOL! Just enjoy the fishing for now.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL thanks guys! sprtsracer, you make a great point! I'm 25 about to get engaged...so I'm already short about 2 part time jobs. LMAO It must be a man thing about getting more equipment than we need. I also love bowling and I own over 15 balls, do I need them all? No, but it makes you feel like you know what your doing when you go to use em!

I already love fishing and I haven't even caught anything yet. I just love admiring God's work out in the open...its so peaceful and serene.

James C.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
LOL thanks guys! sprtsracer, you make a great point! I'm 25 about to get engaged...so I'm already short about 2 part time jobs. LMAO It must be a man thing about getting more equipment than we need. I also love bowling and I own over 15 balls, do I need them all? No, but it makes you feel like you know what your doing when you go to use em!

I already love fishing and I haven't even caught anything yet. I just love admiring God's work out in the open...its so peaceful and serene.

James C.
That's what it's all about!!!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used hot lipped jigs and a big shot crankbait for the Bay and powerbait worms and this marshmellowy stuff for trout in the lake...But no bites...:( LOL

James C.

·
Banned
328 Posts
mytmouse, you seem like a heck of a nice young man, my daughters 35 so I can call you that. If you looking for something Nice and CHEAP and are willing to drive to Harrisburg PA, PM me/ Got a rod or two you might like.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Like the others have said, it will get ya started, but like Em said for striper you're gonna want to beef up. A heavier 7 or 8 foot rod say in the area of 15-20 lb, 2-3 oz will do ya just fine.

·
Registered
983 Posts
hmmmmm, if i were you, id ditch the lures and use small live baits, or small stink baits to get you started, once you get a little better acquainted with fighting and catching fish you will be able to progress, and you will definetly get more action from stink bait or live bait than you will from a lure my friend

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
hmmmmm, if i were you, id ditch the lures and use small live baits, or small stink baits to get you started, once you get a little better acquainted with fighting and catching fish you will be able to progress, and you will definetly get more action from stink bait or live bait than you will from a lure my friend
Well said.

·
Registered
495 Posts

James C.
"about" to get engaged? your honey doesnt read these forums does she? that could ruin the whole surprise deal. HAHA. jk.

keep doing your research and doing exploratory outings whenever you feel is needed. but once the water warms and the forum goes dead, youll know that fish are being caught. ha! welcome to the club. might as well apply for a loan now, it gets addictive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.