Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's finally time for me to upgrade my conventional casting reel and i'm posting it here because distance is a part of my consideration.

I've only started to surf fish this year. Stripers are my primary target. I started out by buying a used squidder. Unfortunately I didn't know much about squidders and bought one with a brass spool. After paying my dues trying to cast this beast, I gave up and bought myself a jigmaster with an aluminum spool. With the help of the internet and helpful people, I was able to mag it (4 small mags) and now I am able to cast it without ANY backlashes at all. Unfortunately, when I put the reel on a heaver I bought, I realized it was too much to handle. The combo ended up being a bit too heavy for me. (I'm 5'6" ~ 135#'s). I couldn't even load the rod properly, nevermind the distance (or lack of).

So, I've been reading and reading about the abu's (but too many models to figure out what's right for me), I know about the Newells, but didn't know if I can cast it, Penn 525, 535, etc...

My main considerations:

1- No time to learn how to cast another convench (would like a good anti-backlash device on it - either stock or a reel I can do the mag conversion)
2- Need a fairly lightweight reel
3- Need at least 200 yds of 30# mono
4- Drag to withstand a 40-50# fish.
5- Retrive ratio of at least 4:1
6- Of course, IT HAS TO CAST WELL.

So if you were me, and had about $75- $100 for a used reel, what would you get?

1- Abu (6000 or bigger)
2- Newell (229 or 235)
3- Penn 525 or 535

Or is there another option I'm not aware of?

Thanks as always for any help and tight lines...

·
Registered
680 Posts
Addict. i am at aloss as to why 30# line. i use 20# at max. normally 15#. i use both thepenn 525and the daiwa 30shv. both are good reels. if i had to make a pick, i would go with the penn because of the drag. i know 20# will handle red drum up to 70#. a friendd got it, mi ne wae only 45.:( :(

·
Registered
578 Posts
Addict ,i agree with Bill , the 525mag .I also use 15,17 and 20 on mine .No drum to 70lbs on mine but stripers to 50lb and bluefin tuna to 65lbs.Drag is great ,casts like a dream and is already factory magged so ready to go from the box.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies...

I just wanted to see if I was missing a model for consideration. I'm going to take a look at the slosh carefully.

Thanks again...

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Connman,

65 lbs BlueFin TUNA on the 525 Mag?What size line did you have.That is incredible!I was told a tuna would spool me out if I brought or attempted to bring a 525 off shore...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Billr -

Sorry, I missed your question before. I'm still having problems getting a shock leader knot in order. I either have the shock leader getting caught on the knot as it comes off the spool, or when it goes thru the guides, it's a nightmare sometimes. Still trying to find a knot that works for me. So I'm just using straight 30# big game on my main without a shock leader. I fish the surf alot and the line takes a beating as you probably know.

·
Registered
680 Posts
addict. if you are using 30# line and 50-60# shock line you are putting a big knot in your line. go to 20# or 17# line and say 40 or 30# shock line. the diameter will be much smaller and may solve your problem. i don't know what brand rod you use but your guides could also cause problems. 17-20# line is enough to hold a lot of fish. the drag system is critical. most of your good brand reels will have good drag systems, the off brands may be questionable.:cool:

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Slosh 30

First reel I bought an untill proven otherwise th best bang for th buck. 7500 cast real nice but th drag sucks compared to a daiwa even with smoothies. Haven't thrown a penn yet but heard they are idiot proof. Guess I should prolly get one then. :D

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
525MAG-

You can say that again,CDOG.....Idiot Proof.
I have never had confidence fishing with casters @ night,but,with the 525-It is Rookies' wet dream,when fishing @ night!

Don't get me wrong-I still feather the spool,but with MAG's-I have less blow-ups and more time to swat [email protected] nite.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I typically do an offshore trip every year out of Montauk . While the others are fishing penn internationals 30's and 50's I stand there with my little 525 loaded with 20lb mono . The Capt laughs at me saying he had a 80 dumped by a giant the week before but we have hooked and landed a few schoolies already on the 30's and they appear to be clones so I figure that the chances of something bigger are slim . Set out a butterfish and wham , 150 yard run and then I stop the fish and fight it back to the boat bit by bit ,20 mins later and a 65lber floppin in the cooler and my arms aching and I have another butterfish in the slick. Wham again ,same thing the fish runs off about 150 yards and stops ,fight this one back to the boat and have it circling deep down under the bow , feel a bump and a slight tug and then a dead weight and i struggle to reel up about 40lbs of a half tuna , big blueshark surfaces looking for the rest of his lunch . We toss the head to him and he drifts away with a full belly.Two more clones were brought to the boat after that before my arms were too worn out to continue to fish on with the light outfit .
I have no doubt that if the 525 was spooled with braid and a mono top shot the reel could be used for tuna to 100lb. You just have to be able to survive the first run.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Another vote for the 525 Mag, like em so much I had to get another one! Send it to Tres at Hatteras Outfitters and get him to put in his mag conversion, makes it have a more varied control level. I throw mine set on 3-4 all the time with 17# Sufix. Caught a few big Drum on mine, so I know it'll handle them wimpy stripers :0)

Adam
I'll prolly have 4 of em before its all said and done lol.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Question for 525 mag users

When you get the reel out of the box, do the mag settings allow you to throw thumb-free?

When you get the HO mag kit, does it allow for thumb-free casting?

Basically, I wanted to know if a beginner can start without the thumb and work into it with the mag settings, either out of the box or thru the HO kit. Thanks.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Beginner 525 Mag User

Hi "addict",

Right out of the box you want to make sure that the Penn 525 Mag has the magnetic adjustment set to maximum (the highest numeric setting), and that you have the width of a hair worth of end play.

For conventional reels it is imperative that you have a smooth technique.

Note: By this I mean - Do Not Jerk or Snatch. Use a continuous build-up of power!

Then enjoy effortless casting and fishing.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
longcaster,

If I follow your guidelines and set the mags to the highest number, would I be able to throw it thumb-free you think? Please assume I'm throwing a 6oz with a chunk for this question.

Thanks again for all the help. Not just to you, but the entire P&S community...you guys/gals are a real class act and I hope to continue learning here!

Vince

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hi Vince,

Yes, I believe that if you follow my directions you will be able to cast without thumbing the reel while the sinker is in flight.

For a beginner caster, 6 ounces is too much lead to throw while you are learning to cast. Four ounces is a better weight to use while learning to cast. It is a more comfortable weight that will allow better control. It will allow you to gain confidence while learning the proper form without compromising technique.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.