Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new to this board and am in need of help with my casting. I dont do any competition casting I am just a fisherman trying to outcast everybody else. :D I use a custom 15'4" lamiglas rod with a Daiwa grand wave z 30 reel and 25 pound mono line, and 6oz leads. This is a new outfit I just started using and love it but I cant seem to get over 300-350 feet. Other people that we fish close to are making me feel real bad they are getting another 100' easily. What can I do to increase my cast.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'm not an expert but you might need a shorter rod. 15' are too much for most people. secondly you should consider using super braids or using 15# line. 25# mono will cut down your cast dramatically. and most importantly the technique. check out the brighton cast post couple of months ago.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Agree 100% with the line. Try braid or use 12-15# test with a shock leader as discussed at length on the board. I am not a distance caster, just a fisherman who always wants another 100' on the cast.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok went out this morning and made a few casts and deceided to find a place I could measure. 450 feet seems to be my average every once in a while I can luckout and fall just short of 500. I want more 15 lb. mono is just to light for sturgeon fishing the columbia late fall when the flow drops some guys drop to 20 but most stay with 25 big game or max ultragreen. I have not seen anybody use braids some have talked about them being these horrible creatures that will cut your thumb off. I would like to know more about them wich ones to try what to do and what to watch out for.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Braid will definitely cut your hands--especially the 10#. I use a finger guard at all times. The 20-30# not as bad but still very small diameter and can cast a long way. Would suggest long heavy mono shock leader so you never really need to handle the braid to help get 'em on the shore.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you can toss 25# test 150 yards you need to be giving me advice, not vice versa!!! Look at the enclosed Power Pro link--30# Power Pro is the same diameter as 8# mono, and this may get you well over 500 feet consistently. Wait for some of the real longcasters to chime in--technique is also important.

http://www.powerpro.com/advantage/specs.asp

·
Registered
337 Posts
Shanew,

I am the one who is in need of help. went and casted my new penn 500L for the first time tonight, 10' jarvis walker rod adn 4 oz lead. first cast on the reel=52 yards. another at 60. then three in a row at 73 yds. next cast small backlash then 74 yards. i am using 20 lb mono. how can I get to 450"?:jawdrop:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wish I could help but I cant. Earlier this year I made a special fishing trip to a new area I new I needed to be able to cast a long way and thought I did fair. Boy was I wrong this new crowd made me feel terrible and put my rod away. Since that spanking I have been keeping my eyes and ears open and practicing alot. But I still cant even begin to compete with those guys. Today was the first time I actully measured a cast and I did better than I thought looking over the water I guessed 300 feet or so but on the level green it measured 450- 500 feet but still I am need of help with technique and probable line selection to get were I feel I need to be. Shane:)

·
Registered
262 Posts
NELP Needed !!!

Shanew, It sounds like you could use a book; or better yet, a video. Maybe 1 of the other guys will read this and give you some advice as to the particulars. I have Neil Mackellow's video and is great. It also shows slow motion. Larry. :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Shane , do not go to braid or drop down to 12-15 mono on your reel . Your reel is a relatively large reel as casting reels go and will not handle thin line well . 20lb mono is as light as you should go on that particular reel . Braid and thin line only helps on spinning reels not conventionals , on conventionals it only leads to faster reels which tend to blow up too easily.:)

·
Registered
194 Posts
bassn ,

before upgrading my reel, I too used a 500L and also the 140. I magged both of them and couldn't backlash them even if i tried. If you need help with the process, just do an interenet search for "magging jigmaster" or anything resembling that. There're many sites/web pages with the EASY conversion. If you need anymore help, post it here, PM me, and I'll give you a couple of exact sites. I'm at work and don't have 'em handy. It's REALLY easy to do and well worth it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts