Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna be getting my X'Mas bonus this week,and was thinking of getting a new casting(levelwind)reel and a matching rod.

Can I get some suggestions?

Probably casting only lures from 5/8 to 2 oz.
Haven't decided what type of line to use,mono or braid.

Willing to spend 250.00 to 300.00 or cheaper.

And by te way,this will be the X'Mas gift my wife is getting me this year.How many of yall bye your own gifts and let your wife or misses take the credit @ gift opening time.Trust me this method helps minimalize alot of fights and arguments.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Levelwind outfit for lure fishing...

Rod - St Croix Tidemaster TC80HF 8' (12-25 lb test, 1/2-2 oz)

Reel - Abu 6500 CS Mag (14 lb test line or 20 Lb braid)

This is my go to rod for lure fishing off piers and around the bay. Works great.

Price - Rod $140, reel$150...$300 well spent...

Going with Stealth 20 lb braid this year...should improve my casting distance. This setup will throw a 2 oz Stingsilver forever!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Get yourself a 9ft or 10ft Tica and an ABU Mag 5 and beleive me you will say to yourself "WHO KNEW".

I use a 9ft Tica with the ABU Brute and that's a cheap ABU reel but it kicks major Bum Bum just the same. Imagine a 5 ball bearing ABU chucking your lure or bait out there smoother than snot! Now your talking and very nice setup for and not a lot of money either. I would spool it with some 20 pound thin dia Stren with low memory.

Remember you heard it from the Bass Buster first.

Thight Lines Al

·
Registered
169 Posts
I know you mentioned conventional, but I thought I would toss one of my new favorites out there. Been tossing a Loomis 1264 (10'6") with a Thunnus. Tosses a little weight a long way. Might do even better with a long cast spool design. Rod goes for around 250$, and the reel around 220$.

I also like the Loomis GRW 981 (8'2"), but it won't go 2 ounces. It's about as sensitive as a rod you could ever ask for though. I've got mine with the newer Stratic on it, but there is a 981 casting and a 983 casting with similar weight ratings. Don't let the light weight and small diameter fool you- the rod is a powerhouse.

One of the newer favorite reels (with levelwind) is the Penn Int. 975 (paired on Loomis PSR108-20C). I would guess the 965 would be just as nice. Its smooth and can cast a lot better than I thought it would be able to. I also can't say anything about the newer Abu 6600C-5s especially at the price.

Just some ideas for ya,

Tight lines and blue skies,

Salty

1 - 6 of 6 Posts