Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am looking to purchase a rod and reel for surf casting. I have been looking at a Penn 500L reel with an OM12SC. Is this a good choice for a first purchase. I have been fiishing for years but not too much surf.

Thanks

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What would you suggest for an "intermediate" setup. Something good to get started in surf fishing.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Reddog1
Take a look at the 11'6" or 12' tica and put a slosh 20 on it. Will handle just about anything youll catch in the surf around here and its light. Plus youll only spend 200 bones............geo

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
The Penn 500L is a bear to master even for an experience surf caster. I would go with Geo recommendations for a conventional reel that can be "tamed" a little bit easier.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where can I find that reel you speak of? Who makes it? Does anyone know any good tackle shops in the Alexandria/Springfield area?

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
reddog1,th slosh 20 is made by Daiwa,you can go to gear on th left side of th screen ancheck out Bass pro shops or go to digitaldagger.com to name just a coulpe of places that have them online.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Each rod is built to cast a specic weight range. Determine what size weights you need to cast, then pick accordingly. I chose a heavy weight rod designed to cast 6-12 ounces as I fish the Atlantic surf and need eight ounces to hold bottom - and this does not include the weight of the bait or bunker.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Where will you be fishing, what species will you target, etc? This will help determine what size rod to get.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am going to try to fish the bay for now and later try the Atlantic. But I am surely going to eventually buy more than one rod but for now I just want to keep around the bay and fish for whatever is out there.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
If you are going to buy more than one rod, I'd get a lighter on (TICA) to start with on and around the bay. Then I'd get a heaver (OM) later for the Atlantic.

Personally, I don't own any real heavers. I really only do the bay. The two rods I have will get me by at the ocean. But 8 and bait would really be stretching their limits.

Anyway, I casted Sandcrab's OM a few weeks ago--that thing has some real backbone to it. Personally, I wouldn't want to use it at the bay if I had a choice between it and a TICA (or tsunami). When you catch a croaker or a spot on a huge rod like that, it just takes some of the fun out of it.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Well said Husky,

Sometimes I don't even feel the fish. I reel it in to change bait and I see that I have a spot or croaker on it.

Tica or Tsunami is a nice rod. They will handle 8 ounces.

Okuma IM6, its a new rod, is really nice. And its 30 dollars cheaper than Tica or Tsunami. Hopefully I'll get one soon.
http://www.digitaldagger.com

That site has one of the best prices on the net.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How much difference is there between a surf casting and surf spinning rod other than the price. WHich one would work? I am thinking about the Daiwa SLOSH 30 reel.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have settled on a reel but I was trying to decide between
TICA Graphite Surf Rod
and
TICA Graphite Surf Spinning Rods UELA Series
and
OKUMA SOLARIS SURF IM6 GRAPHITE RODS

???

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
The slosh is a baitcasting reel. So, you would have to get a casting rod. A spinning rod is a bad idea unless you get a spinning reel.

I would try the TICA. I used Jangwuah's at Sandy Point. I think it only had 4 ounces on it. When I threw it I fell in love with it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts