Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have traveled from Ft Pierce back down to Juno Beach 3 times over the last couple of weeks looking to locate and catch some sand fleas. I bought a new rake recently and was hoping to build up a small stash of sand fleas to have on hand when going out to surf fish. I am willing to travel just about anywhere in the state to get them, but would prefer to stay closer to home say Sebastian on down to Juno/Jupiter where I live.
If anyone has found any beaches were folks are actually catching some in the last few days weeks that wouldn't mind sharing some information as to where and when? Your help would be much appreciated... I am partial disabled, time to go look for them and the cost of gas has made aimlessly scouting out beaches has not worked for me so far. I am new to surf fishing and would love to spend the next few months trying out surf fishing. Have a life time of xp fishing offshore, for bass etc. Thank you and may the fishing Gods smile down upon you this fall winter season. Ultimate plan is to move around the state on mini 2-3 day fishing trips and see our beautiful state a bit more in detail now that father time has told me it is time to retire and enjoy my ability to fish before my health takes that away from me. Thank you for your reply,...

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
From what I have read from other sites, the fleas are down deep. According to some reports around Jacksonville Beach area, they are three to five inches deep. Take a look at brokenreel23 on on FB and YouTube. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yea the fleas are at least 3” deep and difficult to find pods in Jax beach, Ponte Vedra Beach, St Augustine beach area. Lots of work and luck to catch a few with a rake. Not worth the effort. Caught a few with a ghost shrimp pump but also way too much work and randomness. Can’t see where the pods are deep.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hobe sound wild life refuge has quite a bit of sandfleas there.

Melbourne beach sebastian-inlet area beaches..
Thank you for the heads up on the Sand Fleas mikebasnite!
I will be up at the Nathaniel P. Reed Hobe Sound National Wildlife Refuge (north end of Jupiter island) Monday morning before daylight. Plan on walking way up the beach in hopes of finding some sand fleas while my fishing bud mans the rods and reels we will have set up by daylight. Will post if I find any fleas. It has been real difficult to find them down here in Martin - Palm-Beach Counties so far this year.
Some of the older guys think it is because of the beach re-nourishment projects that have been going on the last 2 years along Jupiter Island down to Juno Pier.
Not sure but will give it one more serious try before I go farther north or even to west coast.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hobe sound wild life refuge has quite a bit of sandfleas there. Melbourne beach sebastian-inlet area beaches..
I go up to the Nathaniel Beard Wildlife Refuge (north end of Jupiter Island) a couple times a week since middle of August and have yet to catch or see any sand fleas and the other surf fisherman tell me they have not sen any for months ever since the started the beach dredging project in 2001! If you have actually caught some or know of a spot recently maybe you can share a bit more detail and I will check it out some more. Thank you for the reply

1 - 6 of 6 Posts