Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using a 9’ spinning Tsunami Airwave HM 1-3oz. rod to throw spoons and gotchas for blues or mackerels. Have an out of date & cheap 5000 size reel I’m looking to replace. Since I will be casting a bit looking for something lightweight, with a decent drag, smooth retrieve, & thinking I need higher gear ratio. Will be using 15 lb mono. Would like to keep price tag under $140. Opinions??

Doing a search of the sight most discussions are over 5 yrs old and wondering if there is something new out there i am not looking at.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the same rod and just put a Shimano Ultegra 4000 on it. Very light, balances nicely with the rod and will throw a 2oz stingsilver about halfway to the horizon!

·
Registered
29 Posts
You cannot go wrong with a Penn or Shimano. The Penn is more durable, but the Shimano is usually smoother and lighter, when comparing similar levels of quality between the two. I am personally a Penn fan, I don't mind the extra weight. I plug for blues and Spanish here in NC and my Penn Fierce II 4000 works great. The Fierce III is out now and features the same drag system as the Battle Series which was the major difference in the Fierce II having an inferior drag system. As stated above, the Penn Battle would be an excellent choice for the money, last a very long time, and will just give you that confidence of knowing you have high quality equipment. If you really want to save some money and get a excellent reel, go with the Fierce Series, it's a really good real for under $100.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 3500 Penn Spinfisher on an 9' /1-3 oz and a Shimano 2500 on a 8' / 0.5-20z as much as I love my conventionals these are my favs fo light stuff, cast a country mile.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts