Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Centreville, Maryland

I'd just wanted to introduce myself, Pat Kelly, an avid fishing fanatic and after reading this Site Boards wanted to sign up and join in. I moved to the DelMarVa several years ago from Dundalk and have been slowly learning my way around the tidal rivers, Bay here and Delaware, both on foot from the bank and with a jon baot. Carp and catfishing are my specialty, but I'm also opportunistic and will dunk worms or anything else when in season.

I'm hoping to just chat and share experiences here on the Board. Since carp can tolerate quite a bit-o-salt, I'm especially interested in salty-water tales and encounters with carps.

I don't have signature etc all set up but I have a personal web site for sharing our love for carp fishing:

Chesapeake Bay Carp Angler
www.chesapeakecarper.com

and...

Chesapeake Bay Carp Angler Forum
www.groups.yahoo.com/group/ChesapeakeBayCarpAngler/

Yes, we love it a lot and loads of fun.

Pat Kelly

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Welcome, not much on carp, but with chicken livers and an old (preferably a pair with a run, so as the ladies don't get upset) pair of nylons and a rubber band, can show you some nice catfish areas toward Chestertown.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Pat!

Saw you lurking on the sidelines a few times -- glad you decided to speak up. I've seen carp at the Choptank Bridge in the Spring. I think some of these guys will be surprised at the size of the carp you catch from their weakie and striper (trout and rock down here) hot spots. You may win over a few converts...

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Greetings Pat and welcome to the forum. Dundalk eh. I sold my last rental property on North Pt. Rd last November and used the money to buy a boat. Conowingo, night fishing and channel cats, that was the only fishing I knew until 9/11. Having fished there since the early 60's I knew every submerged bolder and gravel bar below the dam. I used to love a rainy night in mid summer and live line blue gills for channel cats. Never targeted any carp but caught some monsters there. I netted one for a guy one night that went 45 lbs. He caught it on shredded wheat. The closing of the dam after 9/11 was a blessing in disguise because that's when I was introduced to P&S. I can honestly say that I've met more great people on this forum in a little over 2 yrs. that I did in my whole fishing career. Glad to have you on board.

Here's a carp trivia question? In what body of water were carp first introduced into in the U.S.? To make it worth while, the first correct answere wins my "used only for 15 minutes" 15' surf spinning rod. We used it for a flag pole at the 1st. Tank clean-up. I knew I'd find a way to get rid of it. The only catch is that you have to present at the next clean-up wherever it may be to claim it. Have fun.:D

Catman.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
On May 26th 1877 they were placed in the Druid Hill Park ponds in Baltimore Maryland. That is your answer where is my prize!:D

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
And to all you people that think he gave me the answer this is where I found it:D carp history

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
That was quick. Congrats Jason. Like I said, "claim it at the next clean-up. I would have bet a weeks pay that you would be the first to respond.:D I guess that now makes it 31 rods to tie on top of your SUV.

Catman.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Hee Hee you know I wanted that rod!:D And you know I will be at the next cleanup for sure. Now does that come with the reel too?:cool:

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Why not!:D The darn reel is too big for anything I have. You're lucky. Last night I was trying to figure how I could use the rod as an out rigger on the boat.:D

Catman.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Excellent! Carp fishing is fun and they fight pretty darn hard down in FL. My biggest ever was a 30 lber caught on a topwater plug fishing for largemouth bass in my lake last year. Not to forget who started the thread I want to send out a warm welcome to ya chesapeakecarper. Pretty interesting site you got there. You will notice a lot of bottom fishing techniques are similar in freshwater and saltwater. Tight Lines no matter what fish you are fishing for!:D

·
Registered
100 Posts
I lost a rod at Conowingo on my first day there.
I got lots of catfish and when a carp hit my rod, line did stay strong, but the rod couldn't keep up with the weight.
but it was a great experience.

Some mexican next to me gave me a carp but I didn't know what to with that. those carps were so huge. I would like to catch them somewhere again, but have no clue how to catch those. When a carp hit my rod, I used a small lure, but can't remember what it was, been a while..

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've run into carp the size of a 2 year old in the grass a little up from Swain's lock. Not sure which number it is. Right in the middle, a little upstream from the golf course on th VA side. I'm sure the forage up the banks from the grass but I'm not a big carp guy.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
shaggy said:
Welcome, not much on carp, but with chicken livers and an old (preferably a pair with a run, so as the ladies don't get upset) pair of nylons and a rubber band, can show you some nice catfish areas toward Chestertown.
Hello there Shaggy

There's sooo much great looking water here on DelMarVa it can be overwhelming where to start! Closer to home, I've done a few short sessions this year on the Chester River, from Wilmer Park in town (saw huge carp breaking out in the channel) and down toward Camp Pecomath (bank access is terrible in there parts!) with some promising results. Very promising looking areas when I've been out in the jon boat...I actually look for fishable bank near structure (deep water near shore w/no houses nearby <gg> and the like) and don't fish that much from the boat.

Chessy

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Manayunk Jake said:
Greetings Pat!

Hi there Jake; nice talking to ya again! Choptank pier...on my list to try!!I've gotten quite a few raised eyebrows carp fishing amongst the striper/seatrout guys in other areas but heh...thats taking opportunistic fishing to the max. If it bites, thats great; if its carp, thats even better:D

·
Registered
823 Posts
carping

welcome to the boards will talk carp fishing with you
too

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Know what you mean by lots of water. Been here on Kent Island for sixteen years, and still too many new places to explore. But if you are in Centerville, the catfishing area is pretty dang close to you, not even (i think) half way to Chestertown from Centerville. STrictly a land lubber, with AI top on me list matey!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Carp

Welcome to the board, haven't fished for them since I was a kid..we have great carp fishing here in DE..Brandywine River, Christina River, various millponds as well as numerous tidal creeks along Del Rte. 9 that come off the Delaware River and Bay..As a matter of fact I think a 60 plus was caught out of Ingrams Pond in Millsboro this year..please post you reports whenever you have them..and welcome again!Tight Lines To All! Murphman:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts