Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new in this website and to surf fishing also. I am thinking of heading to Cape Hateras, N.Carolina. Does any body know what kind of permits do I need and where to get them? ........Thank you for your help

·
Registered
681 Posts
No permit or license needed to fish Hatteras. When are you going down? For more info on Hatteras, consult the North Carolina forum they will probably be more knowledgable.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Welcome

No permits needed, yet.

I'm sure that North Carolina will get to be just as stupid, greedy and corrupt as Maryland, eventually.

But look at the bright side.

Once they've driven ALL the "casual" fishermen away, with Nusance Taxes and Rediculously Complicated Regulations, there won't be anybody to complain, while the commercial fishermen wipe out the remaining fish stocks.

Can YOU imagine how much Money I'll save on bait and tackle????

As soon as Castro dies, I'm going to sell the beach house, and point the old Bertram South.

Singing "Havana Dreamin'" or maybe "The Last Resort"

But anyway, that's in the future. Enjoy it while you can.

Rt 12 into Hatteras Village, will open to the public on Saturday.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
smoothbore

Maryland is stupid, greedy and corrupt because they charge for a fishing license???

Are you saying that the fishing license fees and regulations have driven all of the "casual fishermen" out of Maryland?

Don't forget the suntan lotion for your trip to Cuba.

Oh, by the way, a cuban fishing license is $20 us.

http://64.21.33.164/CNews/y00/jan00/25e9.htm
"The license fee was set at 100 pesos, to go into effect starting with the current month of January. The new legislation sanctions with particular severity fishing without a license or with an expired license.

Several fishermen expressed unhappiness with the new rules, since many of them fish exclusively for recreation and not for commercial purposes. They also spoke against the increase in the license fee."

Goose - welcome to P&S. :)

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Smoothbore54, Personally don't mind having to pay for a fishing license, guess it may help in some way pay for the DNR employees, and, AI National Seashore, charges me $70 for sand permit (which I as a citizen of the US am technically a part owner) and $20 for the season pass. No problem with these fees either. It, in a way may keep some away, but more importantly, it secures my access to a place I love, and from September through May, try and visit (yes and fish), at least once a week, no matter the weather.

Goose, welcome (a)board! :)

Have Jeep will travel. :D

·
Registered
490 Posts
Bet smoothbore keeps that Bertram in MD waters And don't pay the taxes , also not a supporter of P&S:jawdrop:

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Yer right OBX,

okay, 11' Ocean master with a Penn 6500ss reel (or an Okuma Avenger), FRESH cut bait (if available), 15 pound test main, 40 pound shock leader, Carolina rig with 50 pound to an 8/0 hook or better. If anything like AI, two hours before and after tide change, and most important, fish or not have FUN!

Have Jeep will travel. :D

·
Registered
193 Posts
Reason that we need a license in NC, is it gives us recs one thing.
Clout. With the state representative in the back pockets of the comms. it ain't no wonder we are it trouble, and besides if I decide to go north and fish or about anywhere else on the east coast it will require a license, and whats good for the goose is good for the gander. Also, am in favor of beach permits if this were a state park, they would be far more strict on there enforcement, that the nps wanna bes we now have.
Presently its all license and permit free

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Howdy Goose. Welcome. As several folks have said, you don't need any permits to fish on the Outer Banks.

And, as you've seen, sometimes a thread can turn into other conversations. Don't let it put you off. ;)

You'll have a good time down there. As aero993 said, drop in on the NC forum for more specific regional reports and info. Lots of people on there who really know their stuff.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yes, that's it exactly

Stupid. Nuisance Taxes have been irrefutably proven to be a counter productive means of raising revenue.

Greedy. How many levels of Government does it take, to run one of the smallest States in the Country? How many different kinds of "Badge Heads" do you need to enforce Marylands convoluted mess of State, County, Local, Municipal, Boro, Township and Regional Laws?

Corrupt. Property Taxes, Sales Tax, Local and Municipal Taxes are ALL higher than surrounding States. (Southern Pennsylvania is overrun with Maryland Natives who have been forced to relocate accross the border, to escape the ridiculous tax burden.)

What other State has a Freshwater Fishing License, Saltwater License, Chessapeake Bay Sportfishing License, Recreational Crabbing License, Commercial Crabbing License? And I'm sure I've missed a few others.

And for ALL that, You get a fishery in frighteningly rapid decline. Crabs and Oysters at ALL TIME LOWS, and unfit for human consumption, and water quality issues on a par with Lake Erie, in the 1970's.

We would ALL love to see improvements in access, and resource management. But to think that "One More " Tax or Fee is going to solve anyones problems, is ludicrous.

We, on this board, are not "Casual" fishermen. We're "Serious" Fishermen. We represent a Very, Very small portion of the dollars, that recreational fishing brings to the waterfront communities.

Joe Average, can take his family on a "Packaged Cruise" for about half of what it costs him to spend the same amount of time at a Mid-Atlantic Seaside Community. And those communities are hurting, as a result.

The opportunity to try his hand at a little "Casual" fishing. Maybe show his kids some things He remembers doing with His Grandad.

That's what makes it worth the additional expense.

And THAT, Gentlemen, is Real CLOUT.

It's NOT something You can buy from the Government, for a License Fee.

The inherent strength of Sport Fishermen, lies in their grassroots connection to our common heritage.

Historicly, any form of "Elitist, Class Warfare" has had a devastating effect on outdoor sports. (Western Europe, for example.)

And for what it's worth, I live in Pennsylvania, and keep the Bertram in North Carolina. Where I pay Taxes on 2 houses and a retail outlet.

And I will NEVER make a personal attack, on anyone, for ANY reason.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Okay, I'll reply, then(I hope I am silent on this point).

Md taxes and levels of government (forgive me open mouth insert foot). It seems Democrats are more into the level after level after level of government. Our old gov, Parris taxspendeng did his part to somehow make a surplus in the coffers disappear, but I regress.

Yes we are one of the heavier taxed states, yet, it is MY decision to spend on a fishing license, an ORV permit a season pass (latter two federal), the federal government taxes gas (as does the state), our income, and decides that through Social Security. they can do better for our retirement than we can. Delaware no state income tax (or is it sales tax?), yet fees to fish.

We pay to tag our cars, get a license to drive, yet a fee to hunt or fish is outlandish?

Don't know, alot of government waste maybe, .....

Have Jeep will travel.

:D

·
Registered
472 Posts
Both major Political parties are fundamentally Corrupt

But the point I’m trying to make, is NOT that Maryland is any more or less corrupt than anywhere else.

Maryland is just such a glaring example, of the total failure of nuisance taxes and excessive regulation, to, in any meaningful way, affect the resources they are intended to preserve.

The point is, that nuisance taxes discourage the “Casual” Fisherman from participating in the Sport We Love.

We NEED those guys ! ! !

It's Economics 101

When those guys get taxed out of existence, WE ARE THE LOSERS.

Every time a Mom & Pop Bait Shop or Motel or Restaurant that depended on those guys dollars, goes down the tubes, WE ARE THE LOSERS

Have You been in West Ocean City lately? It’s a ghost town. All the “Tourist Cabin” places and Diners and Bait Shops are gone.

All the tax revenue from those businesses is also gone.

It’s not like driving a car. That’s a fundamental necessity for most of us. And most of the attendant taxes are “user” taxes. ( If you buy more gas, you pay more tax. ) You ultimately control Your level of consumption.

$70 for a sand sticker is a real bargain, if You’re going to use it 10 or 15 times, but it’s a little tough to swallow, for the guy who can only make 1 trip a year.

But that guy gets to vote on conservation issues, just like We do. If He can no longer justify the expense, of participating in the Sport We Love

WE ARE THE LOSERS

·
Registered
472 Posts
Goose

I'm sorry to have begun this Rant on Your "Maiden" thread.

Think of it as an "Inauspicious Beginning"

Most of the guys on this board, are the "Salt of the Earth"

There's only a few grumpy old Libertarians like me.

We're ALL glad to have "New Blood" on the board.

Welcome

( If You're a little wierd, and happen to like grumpy old Libertarians, Cafe Locale's full of em' )

·
Registered
490 Posts
Smoothbore What states can offer all those options, plus the sand permit your referring to is not state of MD but Federal, the MD portion of AI can be accessed Free. Must be alot here you like,why else you hanging around.:mad: :D

·
Registered
823 Posts
GOOSE,
WELCOME TO THE P& S FAMILY!
those guys are just having a little pms.
their points are usually valid if not a little untimely but they are great guys! again welcome

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Goose,

Let us know how your trip goes. If Hatteras is too crowded, try a little farther north. There's plenty of wide open beach.

Fred.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts