Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some of the better brand of rods for "bait-&-eight" or "bait-&-more-than-eight"?

Tsunami?
Ocean Master?

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I have only dealt with the OM's and the Daiwa Eliminators. Both are great rods and cast 8 n bait + well.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I'v got a 11' Eliminator and a Daiwa Emblem x6000T reel thats 8 n bait and thinking about a 12' OM soon.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
I can only speak for the OM's..

Orest,

I have a 12' OM conventional rod rated for 6-12 oz. The rod needs at least 6 oz to load...

If you want to check it out, give me a yell and I can let you test before you buy!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Breakaway

My 2p/1p light can throw a car. If I need to throw a truck, I'll use the 2p/1p heavy (original model). They are more expensive, but they will get the job done.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What kind of reel do you use SandCrab?

Tica and Tsunami make rods I thinks rated at 4-10 oz.

I let you know if I decide to go to the Atlantic this year.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
If it has to be a Spinner go with the heaviest Tica rated for 4-10;Coventionals I use the OM rated for 6-12ozes(that rod could even cast a 16oz sinker with no problem.Tica has a conventional model of the one rated above too.The 13" Daiwa Elininator is good for 6n Bait but can load ok with 8ozes.Go with the OM or Ticas you'll be satisfyed;) .

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Me, two 11' OM, one with a Penn6500 and one with an Okuma Avenger. Both set ups serve me well tossing lead and bunker chunks on AI.

Have Jeep will travel. :D

·
Registered
472 Posts
St Croix and G Loomis both have "off the rack" rods that will get it done.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Not one mention of the Straight 8??

Zziplex Straight 8 is about tops in my book. A close second is my friend's Conoflex Nemesis Plus...Talk about throwing a house. They say it is rated for 6...yeah right!

Justin

·
Registered
185 Posts
Lets not forget the Pinnacle Shoreline Classic 11ft 6ins., one of the original 8nbait rods for under $100.00! In both conv. and spinning.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Orest said:
What kind of reel do you use SandCrab?
For my 12' OM rod I use a Daiwa Grand Wave with 15 lb mono and a 50 lb shocker.

For my trusty old 12' Ugly Stick, I use an Abu Garcia 10000CL with 15 lb mono and a 50 lb shocker. The Abu is a levelwind and is one big reel. Both have served me well. The Daiwa will outcast the Abu in a hearbeat but the Abu holds 400 yds of 30 lb mono!

Next year I plan on putting 300 yds of Stealth 65 lb test over 20 lb test mono backing for the Abu levelwind.

Bottom line - DON'T buy an Ugly stick! They are TOO soft for casting heavy stuff

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hi Orest,

In budget 12' rods I like the Tica and OM. If you want to hold bottom without all of the strain, consider using Breakaway grip sinker in the 5oz-6oz range. The only time that I use 8 and bait is when I'm casting into a head wind of 10mph or more. I need the extra weight to get on the back side of the bar. The lighter weights are hindered by the wind.

If budget is not a concern, you should take a good look at the Zziplex Straight 8 and the Penn Sidewinders. The Zippy is around $300 for the blank and the Sidewinders are $265 complete. I'm not a big guy so I prefer the 13' rods over the shorter rods. The longer rods allow for a smoother gentler cast with less wear and tear on your body.

As in most things related to fishing, it is a matter of personal taste. I suggest that you try each brand before you make a purchase. You are welcome to take my Tica (spinning) and Penn’s (spinning and conventional) for a test drive. I’d be happy to make time when you are available. That’s my nickel; you owe me three cents:).

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
James just remember clippers are great stock stuffers....:D

Thanks to all who voiced their valued opinions.

For now the budget has to be considered.

I like to price of the Tica and OM, do both have the guides to handle braided line?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Heaving 8 oz.

Okuma Solaris 12'...nice rod for less than $100..Check out Tica and the more expensive Lamiglas..I would like to get one..I never hear anything about the St. Croix(Ben Doerr)models..has anyone ever tried one? They sure do feel nice in the tackle shop!:D

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
St. Croix has a 12 foot, rated 4- 16 oz. conventional rod that sells for $252 at the store below..

Thar's according to Sue Foster at Oyster Bay Tackle.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Orest,
Thanks for the reminders. My concern was for the car keys. It would have been a long walk from PLO to home. I was very willing to share the clippers once I removed the car keys:).

HR,
Distance is a combination of the caster and the gear. On average, I THINK that I toss 8&Bait around 300 feet at the water. Some are longer and some are shorter. Casting into a NE wind is more than notion. I use mainly bunker (3/4" x 3/4" x 2"). I just started casting 8&Bait this month. I still prefer to use a 5oz or 6oz Breakaway. I gave it try and found that it really cuts the wind if you get the timing right. Just like distance casting, heavy metal has an important place in your tackle box.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts