Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well on friday my parents and i are most probably going with a really good friend of ours to go see this dude we havent seen in like 7 years, anyway i was planning on doing some surf fishing! we are going to saint petersburgh i believe. Are the beaches crowded there? do they allow surf fishing?what bait? can you use sabiki to catch bait on the surf there? im aiming at anything that will bite, what will bite? Im lost, never been to tampa, any info would be appreciated!any other questions i mightave missed would come in handy.thanks!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Well on friday my parents and i are most probably going with a really good friend of ours to go see this dude we havent seen in like 7 years, anyway i was planning on doing some surf fishing! we are going to saint petersburgh i believe. Are the beaches crowded there? do they allow surf fishing?what bait? can you use sabiki to catch bait on the surf there? im aiming at anything that will bite, what will bite? Im lost, never been to tampa, any info would be appreciated!any other questions i mightave missed would come in handy.thanks!
Sunshine Skyway Bridge.

Paging eaglesfanguy....

That's his hangout.

And Pier 60 in Clearwater Beach.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks but i can never find my way in that site, apperently the people arent as nice as here and the owner looks...dull or cranky as i should say, anyway they barely have updates,at least not like on here.thanks anyway. i wont be able to stop by the pier, u know parents visiting friends, well hes my friend too so you know, i just cant ask.

·
Registered
506 Posts
thanks but i can never find my way in that site, apperently the people arent as nice as here and the owner looks...dull or cranky as i should say, anyway they barely have updates,at least not like on here.thanks anyway. i wont be able to stop by the pier, u know parents visiting friends, well hes my friend too so you know, i just cant ask.
Yeah, I know what you mean about Boatless, it's kind of an "in" group thing, but the advantage is that it is more local than many other sites. If you take the time to work your way through it you can come up with some good stuff.

Also understand that you need to go with the flow on your family trip. Here's a couple of tips: Coming in to St. Pete from Miami you will almost have to go over the Sunshine Skyway, so you can at least see what it's all about.

Second, Clearwater Beach is a worthy destination for a family outing other than fishing. The beach is great, almost like South Beach, there is a cool little park by the pier and very good to excellent restaurants all around, from very casual, Frenchie's, to some fine dining, Island Way & Hellman's Beachside and the little Bistro place next to it. If there are no other plans you might "suggest" that it is a good place to visit, then you can decide if it is worth a return trip.

FWIW, that Clearwater Beach Hilton has been totally renovated and is very nice, and rooms are relatively cheap, and it's right on the beach.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also understand that you need to go with the flow on your family trip. Here's a couple of tips: Coming in to St. Pete from Miami you will almost have to go over the Sunshine Skyway, so you can at least see what it's all about.
no yea im not gona just budge in with fishing couse i know that thats not what were there for but i will take two of my rods and my dads cool with that so you know if i ever get a chance i will soak a bait in but i highly doubt it cause you know beaches are usually crowded, and what if something does pop up? braid and peoples skin just dont go together, i will look like an idiot doing it anyway! i do hope we stay late once all the people have gone.then theres no stopping me......theres no regs. right?against fishing on their beaches?oh thanks cerb.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Fishing in the surf.... I know in a couple of beaches they dont allow fishing from the surf or wading.. When its Touron season. they push ya to the piers. Big pier 60 is a good one.. specially at night .. lotsa snook and tarpon.. with cobia and trout mixed in aswell..

during the day you can get the same .. and a possible kingfish.. lots of spanish macks in the mornings and evenings.

Then there is the Skyway piers... You have the shot at all of the above.. plus gag and goliath grouper, sharks "of all species"

and its snapper time!.. lots of mangrove snapper Around the wrecks and pillins, sheepshead on slack tides.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fishing in the surf.... I know in a couple of beaches they dont allow fishing from the surf or wading.. When its Touron season. they push ya to the piers. Big pier 60 is a good one.. specially at night .. lotsa snook and tarpon.. with cobia and trout mixed in aswell..

during the day you can get the same .. and a possible kingfish.. lots of spanish macks in the mornings and evenings.

Then there is the Skyway piers... You have the shot at all of the above.. plus gag and goliath grouper, sharks "of all species"

and its snapper time!.. lots of mangrove snapper Around the wrecks and pillins, sheepshead on slack tides.
thats sweet, sounds like you guys are having quite a handfull with those tarpons and sharks...dont even get me started on the kings! anyway, it turns out that the dude has to go somewhere and the trip is off...sorry for making you write all of that, but we will go on the 8th of august so your info wont be wasted completely, thanks.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Well when ya get round these parts and ya have some time.. to fish... Give some of us a heads up.. Purhaps we can show ya around.. Im pretty much stricktly a Skyway pier fisherman.. I just love that pier.. And i do quite well on it.. so Hit me up if ya got some time.

Ill be honest the skyway isnt a place ya fish for a couple hours.. I put in time.. So many variables.. so many species, one usually dosent know what to go after..lol..
But i can keep ya busy.. even if its just catchin big ole pins.. But i can get ya into some snapps no problem.. maybe even a grouper.. if your tough enough..

And the convienience is just unbeatable..

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well when ya get round these parts and ya have some time.. to fish... Give some of us a heads up.. Purhaps we can show ya around.. Im pretty much stricktly a Skyway pier fisherman.. I just love that pier.. And i do quite well on it.. so Hit me up if ya got some time.

Ill be honest the skyway isnt a place ya fish for a couple hours.. I put in time.. So many variables.. so many species, one usually dosent know what to go after..lol..
But i can keep ya busy.. even if its just catchin big ole pins.. But i can get ya into some snapps no problem.. maybe even a grouper.. if your tough enough..

And the convienience is just unbeatable..
will do, i really wouldnt mind catching a nice grouper for dinner anyway. will probably pm you before the 8th...till then,tight lines.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.