Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Headed to John's Pass 10/9-10/17 looking to do a bit of fishing. Usual go-tos in surf are spinner baits, spoons and some two hook "river" rigs baited with shrimp. Maybe some shrimp type jigs along the bottom for flat fish. Any other tips or advice for a novice beach fisher in this area? Also, any species running right now that I should be targeting? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Hi all,
Headed to John's Pass 10/9-10/17 looking to do a bit of fishing. Usual go-tos in surf are spinner baits, spoons and some two hook "river" rigs baited with shrimp. Maybe some shrimp type jigs along the bottom for flat fish. Any other tips or advice for a novice beach fisher in this area? Also, any species running right now that I should be targeting? Thank you in advance.
My information will be a bit dated but in 1976 I lived in the area and fished John's Pass every weekend.

We used live shrimp hooked through the horn, 9 foot spinning rods equipped with big Mitchell spinning reels, we caught Sheepshead 8-10 pounds, Jack Crevalle to 15 pounds, and Ladyfish, were looking for Snook, but they eluded me.

We fished the mouth of the pass in deep water in the channel, there was a bait shack by the bridge that sold live Shrimp, which I think in those days were $.75 per dozen.:)

You had to time your casts to get the line safely underwater from the boat traffic.

Got stripped on several occasions when I hooked up to outboard equipped sea monsters.

Frustrating to lose all your line to a speedboat (Also frustrating for the boat owners to get 200 yards of 15 pound test mono wrapped around the prop)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts