Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok now I know some of you are wanting to come in and drop flames for posting something about boats on this section of the board, but please excuse this one. I know personally a few of the people on this side of the board and none on the boating board.

I am going to be returning to VA VERYVERY soon....within the next few days. I have been working out of state all summer practicly and have been dreaming nightly of taking a head boat trip the minute I touch down in va beach agian.

My first question is what head boat would you recommend
and second, have they been catching anything recently?

Also, any of you I have fished with before or remembers me from the board that want to go on a day long headboat adventure let me know here.

Thanks......

Justin

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Been wondering where you were at lately. Your "old" website has been looking pretty bad since you gave it to the pier owner. In fact I think it has gone down quite a few times. Might need to make a call when you get back in town to see if you can make some $$ to pay for that headboat trip you been wanting to go on. :D

·
Registered
885 Posts
I've been waiting for the Fall Spot run to get started and then I planned to go out from Harrisons. Earlier this year I went on an evening Head Boat trip from Rudee Inlet. What a waist of time!! We spent 3 of the 4 hours riding out to the fishing area and then didn't catch a thing. I've never gotten skunked out of Harrisons so long as I was selective on the time of year and tide. It's a bunch cheaper too ($18.00 vs 45.00). Give me a yell when you decide to go.
PLEASE do something about that Lynnhave web site. I use it all the time.:D

·
Registered
691 Posts
...headboat board.....

I'm still tryin' to find it.............

but seriously, most of the fishies are small right now and you'd be just as well rewarded giving the inlet's or piers a go. From what I gather, they have been getting some sharks and the occaisional keeper Flounder, but otherwise the fishing is spotty....

:D

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I'd ask fishnkid. He's been working on a headboat off and on this summer.

·
Registered
441 Posts
For this time of year, the best head boat is across the Bay Bridge Tunnel on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Go to Cherrystone Camp Resort. They catch massive amounts of quality flounder. Just check this website out which has a fishing report. The price is also very reasonable. You won't be packed in like sardines.

cherrystoneva.com.

If by chance you golf, you may want to check out Bay Creek which is about a mile from the camp resort. It is probably the best golf course in Virginia and the price again is very reasonable.

For mid september until winter check out Rudee Inlet. They go out for Black Sea Bass. They have a half day or full day trip. I always take the full day trip where they go to the triangle wrecks. For quantity, go Mid September- Mid October. For bigger fish Mid-October -November. Long time ago, they use to have a trip during January, but I don't know if they do that any more. The average size during middle of the winter where they go out 4.5 hours was 3 lb seabass.

The half day trip is about a 1-1.5 hour trip. It's the famous lighthouse. Once in a blue moon, you may do really well especially with flounders, but it is not as reliable as the full day trip.

Good luck.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Don't waste your time on seabass trips. The inshore wrecks are absolutely fished out. I'd give a shot at a Bridge Tunnel trip out of Lynnhaven Inlet or just wait for an easterly wind and head for Sandbridge.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for responding to this thread.
Sounds like the best bet will be a full day trip to the wrecks in Mid september. The big ones in mid october sound inviting as well.

What I always wanted to do was go out on a full 2 or 3 day trip, but IM sure it would be hard to find something like that. It just sounds like a fun adventure to go out on the boat.

I guess for the rest of august and early september it will have to be piers....lookin forward to it all. This bass fishin is fun (and tastes good too) but I am HOOKED on fishin the saltwater now.

Tight lines and see you all soon.

I will definately check with the Lynnhaven owners to see if I can help them, but don't really count on it. Hoyt seems to really want to do it all himself. My services are definately available if they need me though.

·
Registered
291 Posts
go out of lynnhaven inlet. They have been doing flounder trips which have been doing alright. Sorta slow but you can get some nice ones. There bottom fishing trips though have been good. It has been every drop you get a fish. Only problem is there sort of small. Now when its striper season, they do striper trips. Those are the best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts