Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well first hello to everyone. Hope you fellas can help me out. I my son and one of his friends are going out on the head boat out of lynnhaven sat. Now we fish alot freshwater and salt. most of the time of the pier or the beach. Never been on a head boat. just want the boys to have the best chance at catching a fish. (they are both six) It is the half day striper trip. I know everything is provided, but what should I really bring. Any advice would be great.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
with 2 adults and 2 six year olds...try to get a spot on a corner of the stern. keep the young ones away from the prop. you will get rods/bait/rigs, but thats it. take snacks/drinks and warm cloths. you didn't say what kind of trip. they may sell hotdogs and such on the boat, but I would call and ask first. find out if the boat has a cabin in case the young ones get cold. above all, HAVE FUN!!! good for you for starting them young...ps don't forget the cooler to take the fish home. good luck

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
There is charters that run out of Lynnhaven Seafood and Marina for stripers... the captains and crew are great, and will put you on fish. I have been going out with them for years in the fall/winter. Dress warm and good luck.

·
Registered
290 Posts
They will rent each of you a rod and reel for $5.00, but you will want to bring at least 2 or 3 White Bucktails for each of you. Probably in the 2 ounce range. They sell them on the boat, but they are $3.00 each.

Honestly, I don't think that striper season is the best time to bring 6 year olds out. You are going to be casting constantly. Would be better to take them out on a nice 85 degree day in July when they are bottom fishing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the advice. We are going out sat. morning I'll let you know how it goes. both kids a avid pier and and bass fishermen. They both love to jerk jig for bluefish. Just never had them on a head boat. I hope they both atleast or a fish on.
good fishing

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Good Luck! :fishing:
Do post up afterwards.
I might hit you up for some details.

·
Registered
280 Posts
gOT A 7 YEAR OLD WHO IS EXPERIENCED FISHING ON BEACH AND PIERS, AND I AM ALSO CURIOUS HOW IT GOES WITH YOUNG ONES ON THE HEAD BOATS FOR STRIPERS. SON HAS BEEN WANTING TO GO, AND I HAVE BEEN HESITANT.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have been out on the Bay Princess 3 times so far this year. 2 night trips and a day trip on Thanksgiving. Dave the mate is always great, friendly and helpful. Plus he cleans the fish for $2.00 each, can't beat fishing all day and coming home not smelly. The trips can be very hit or miss. One night trip with about 25 people, the boat limited out, 2 fish for everyone including captain and mates. Second night trip was quite a bit slower. The Thanksgiving trip was a lot of fun. Good turn out, boat did well, Captain Brian took us all over the place trying to find the fish with a crazy fast current out there.

I have spent plenty of time on party boats, and in my experience Winter Flounder fishing up in NY, and Winter striper fishing here, kids get cold and bored very fast. The action is fairly slow most of the time, even when the boat limits out, they may only catch one or no fish during a 4 hour trip. Plus it can get very cold very fast, most of the kids I see out there in winter are sitting in the cabin most of the trip. I say take them out on the boat in the summer when it is 85 degrees and they can catch 50 fish in 4 hours. Maybe even think about Tautog in the spring, still slow fishing, but much warmer out and not as much casting. Casting a spinner bait, or even a rattle trap from the shore is much easier for a little guy than casting a 2 ounce bucktail over a railing they can barely see over for hours straight.

If they are itching for some fairly steady action during the winter, you could always take them over to Lake Biggins in Newport News. Stocked with Rainbow Trout now I believe. Small pond so easy to find the fishes. Remember you need to have a freshwater license and a trout stamp, they can fish for free. When you hook a 12" rainbow trout on a 5'6" UL rod it feels like a shark on there.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Brian is an excellent captain, I used to go out with him all the time when it was the "First Chance" (bad juju renamin' a boat I always thought...).

Take the kids, they'll have a blast... my pops used to come get me out of school early every now and then to go on the party boats, that's something I will never forget.

·
Registered
243 Posts
if u want to catch some bigger boys with out the head boat chaos try the jil carrie outta of Long Bay Point. I think he's got some dates set for trophy stripers. He has a 10 person limit and its only 80 bucks a head. He usually fishes till the boat has its limit also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts