Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you launch a boat at the public launch above the jettty can you pull your boat on the sand to get out and fish? Was thinking of bringing my Jon boat down but wanted to fish the end of the Jetty and just park the boat along the shore on the south side. Also what fish are there around the September 18th week?
Thanks

·
Registered
486 Posts
From time to time I have seen some boats parked on the inside of the jetty, on the beach on the ocean side. You could also beach your boat at low tide in the middle of the north jetty, there is big sand bar there. Lots of folks to that. In mid September, there is a variety of fish still around. It all depends of water temperature and what baits you want to work. It is usually still pretty warm then, so it would be a good idea to fish early in the morning. Black and red drum are caught at the jetties around the fall time.

Best,

Matthew

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
If you launch a boat at the public launch above the jettty can you pull your boat on the sand to get out and fish? Was thinking of bringing my Jon boat down but wanted to fish the end of the Jetty and just park the boat along the shore on the south side. Also what fish are there around the September 18th week?
Thanks
I suppose you could beach the boat and walk out there. If I had a jon boat I would be fishing the creeks though. There's a learning curve for the jetty.

Flounder, red drum, black drum, sheepshead, bluefish, trout, and plenty of trash fish can be caught around the structure.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would like to fish the end of the Jetty for Shark so that would be my main reason for parking the boat. Just don’t know the laws down there and don’t want a ticket. Also figured it would save us the walk up and back everyday
Thanks

·
Registered
486 Posts
If you'd like to try HBSP from the beach at all, just park at the north parking lot and when you get to the beach go right to the dog side. In the evening and high tide you can catch spinner, blacknose, and other species of shark. We've done quite well there over the years. My buddy got a 6 ft spinner there last week. Use cut bait and wire shock leader with a haywire knot to your circle hook and hold on!

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Would like to fish the end of the Jetty for Shark so that would be my main reason for parking the boat. Just don’t know the laws down there and don’t want a ticket. Also figured it would save us the walk up and back everyday
Thanks
Have you ever been out there before? The blacktop ends before the end of the jetty, so you're going to be going down slick wet mossy rocks trying to get a decent release on the fish. Not to mention the boat traffic.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How far to the right do you go down? I’ve only ever fished towards the Jetty and at the Jetty. We have cleats for the rocks but if I can catch them from the beach I’d rather do that. Is the north end of Pawleys good in September? Fished that 2 years ago and liked that channel
Thanks for all the info

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
How far to the right do you go down? I’ve only ever fished towards the Jetty and at the Jetty. We have cleats for the rocks but if I can catch them from the beach I’d rather do that. Is the north end of Pawleys good in September? Fished that 2 years ago and liked that channel
Thanks for all the info
The mullet run should still be on so put any fresh cut bait around where the steady stream of mullet is going by from the surf and hold on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like a blast. What’s a nice area down there to live? Have been vacationing there for the past 17 years and have plans of moving there eventually. Want to be close to the beach to fish but not in anything hectic. Really like Pawleys island area but I’m sure there is many areas like that I’ve never been to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts