Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is time to act for the Menhaden.
Below is a cut and paste from a email from Robert Allen. and it provides what is needed to be done
t is time to act...we cannot wait two more days...HB 446 has been assigned to committee . It is imperative that each person contact as many on the following committee as possible..(24 LETTERS PLEASE!!).

e-mail addresses of each member of the following committee can be located at the site for the VA House of 'Delegates and it was very easy with a computer to e- mail a duplicate letter(takes about on hour of computer timeTO DO EVERYONE ON COMMITTEE). I have two different letters. You may use ideas from any(OR YOUR OWN LETTER)...the main point is to request support in the Committee for this bill and report favorably. One or two sentences may be all you wnat or need to write! I sat down tonight and sent the following note to each one on the committee HB 446 is the bill sponsored by CCA to move menhadne management from the Legislature to the VMRC...where we have a better chance to regulate menhaden reduction boats inside Chesapeake Bay...If this thing dies in committee...it is DEAD...we must act in the next couple of days...take the time Sunday afternoon or evening and write each and every member. It was easy...I have done mine...PLEASE DO THE CHESAPEAKE BAY A FAVOR AND WRITE...IMMEDIATELY...Bob Allen, PSWSFA Send me an e- mail telling me that you did this for us...We desperately need a huge response...The Menhaden industry is already attempting to defeat recreational users of the bay by Lobbying the legislature and putting a negative spin on this very constructive legislation.

Dear Delegate Wright(or any member of the committee):

Your Committee, House Agriculture, Chesapeake, and Natural Resources Committee will soon be reviewing HB 446, introduced by Delegate Terry Suit. This bill will effective move the management of Menhaden from the Legislatre to VMRC. I respecfully ask that you support this bill and report favorably on HB446 to the Legislature.

Menhaden is the only fishery in Virginia that is not under the advice and management of experienced fishery managers. For some unknown reason it has remained under the management of the Virginia Legislature. Historically that was reasonable,since fisheries were never managed by anyone,until more recently as exploitiation of this natural resource has increased . The Federal Government in the late 1980's created the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) to regulate migratory fishes. ASMFC with many scientists, commercial fishermen and recreational advisors offers direction to individual states for all migratory fishes. The Menhaden Management Board (a creation of ASMFC) will now be setting standards which each state must meet to properly manage and regulate the Menhaden Fishery.

The State of Virginia has a $33 Million agency(VMRC) which deals with ASMFC rules and regulations on a daily and weekly basis. ASMFC and the VMRC work out the sticky problems of quotas, rules, statistical surveys, and so on,of some 16 Chesapeake Bay
fisheries, including American Shad, Gray trout, Croaker, Spot, Bluefish, Striped Bass, Sea Bass, Tautog, Summer Flounder, and Cobia.

The Legislature has already created the Agency=Virginia Marine Resource Commission, which will be dealing with any management directives from ASMFC regarding the Menhaden fishery in Virginia just as they do now with all the other species I have mentioned.

It makes good sense to get this one last fishery out of the halls of the Virginia Legislature and into the Virginia Marine Resource Commission, where it belongs. Pass HB 446.

Robert B. Allen

Following is another sample letter you can use:

Dear Delegate_________;
I am writing to voice my support for HB 446 I feel that it is important to move management of this important filter feeder to the VA Marine Resource Commission(VMRC) where fisheries managment professionals can scientifically manage the population in state waters for all Virginians. Every other marine fish species in Va is managed by VMRC so why could menhaden be any different?

Currently the estimated population of this vitally important forage fish and filter feeder is at its lowest level since 1955 and the estimated year 2000 spawning stock biomass was 80% lower than the 1955-64 average. This has resulted in serious concerns about the forage base for imprtant finfish such as Striped Bsss, Weakfsih and Bluefish.

During this time of shrunken budgets, it is important to note that this bill will not result in any increased costs to the Commonwealth of VA . Also, the VMRC can react to a situation quickly, while the Legislatdure meets only once a year. I strongly believe the hardworking fisheries managers at VMRC would better manage manhaden for all Virginians, Again, I ask you to support HB 446.

Sincerely,

Committee On:
Agriculture Chesapeake and Natural Resources

Meeting Date:

Meeting Time:

Meeting Place
Wednesday

8:30 a.m.

House Room C

Chairman:
Cox, M. Kirkland
Vice Chair:
Ware, R. Lee, Jr.
Members:

Morgan, Harvey B.
Sherwood, Beverly J.
Louderback, Allen L.
Wright, Thomas C., Jr.
Orrock, Robert D., Sr.
Weatherholtz, Glenn M.
Byron, Kathy J.
Suit, Terrie L.
Saxman, Christopher B.
Hogan, Clarke N.
Cline, Benjamin L.
Scott, Edward T.
Plum, Kenneth R.
Van Yahres, Mitchell
Amundson, Kristen J.
Shuler, James M.
Miles, Floyd H., Sr.
Stump, Jackie T.
Eisenberg, Albert C.
Shannon, Stephen C.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the email addresses again provided by Robert Allen.

Here is a list of e-mails for House Agruculture, Chesapeake and Tributaries Committee to hear HB 446

Morgan, Harvey B. [email protected]

Ware, R. Lee, Jr. [email protected]

Cox, M. Kirkland [email protected]

Sherwood, Beverly J. [email protected]

Louderback, Allen L. [email protected]

Wright, Thomas C., Jr. [email protected]

Orrock, Robert D., Sr. [email protected]

Weatherholtz, Glenn M. [email protected]

Byron, Kathy J. [email protected]

Suit, Terrie L. [email protected]

Saxman, Christopher B. [email protected]

Hogan, Clarke N. [email protected]

Cline, Benjamin L. [email protected]

Scott, Edward T. [email protected]

Plum, Kenneth R. [email protected]

Van Yahres, Mitchell [email protected]

Amundson, Kristen J. [email protected]

Shuler, James M. [email protected]

Miles, Floyd H., Sr. [email protected]

Stump, Jackie T. [email protected]

Eisenberg, Albert C. [email protected]

Shannon, Stephen C. [email protected]

·
Registered
164 Posts
I sent each of the delegates an email on Friday. Will do so again Tue morning to ensure they get the word that we must protect our resources from overfishing of menhaden.

Lou

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 1st post on this board but I've been a long time reader. I think HB 446 is important and I've e:mailed all members of the committee. Thank you for a very informative source of fishing information.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your Welcome, Catfishma
But Thank Robert Allen as well since he wrote the stuff and provided it to me and gave me permission to post it.

I thank all who are helping this cause.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Digger, thanks for your continued involvement. This is one of the first of hopefully many attempts to manage a very important resourse. Being that it will be put to vote tomorrow, wed. 01/21 , we all need to act quickly.

Thanks again for making it easier for our voices to be heard. Speaking of which, here's the ph.# to speak directly to the state gov. to let them know you SUPPORT HB446. 1-800-889-0229 M-F 0830-1700

Oh yeah, Sandflea, just a thought, should we move this to the "Issues" board?? Or maybe have it on both if possible??

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jay b I thought as to where to place it. It is more info for Virginia and not discussion so the most people involved should see it here. And if we can get a letter from a few more people who not as active all the better.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Believe me I'm not bitc#'n. Note the last of my suggestions, I too was just trying to reach as many as possible. Thanks again for bringing to the forefront an issue that should concern us all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts