Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you done any fishing on the east end of OV near the public beach at Little Creek? I was wondering if there is anything down there?

·
Registered
634 Posts
hey jake..talked to a guy that caught 2 flounder at willoughby pier the other day...both around 14"...tag #'s TB108583 and TB97685...he said he already reported them..just was wondering if they were yours....sorry to hijack your thread advisor lol

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problem Kajun. Just asking a question and waiting for JA's answer. In February, I caught 2 Pups that had tags and reported them to Fish & Game. Got a ball cap for my trouble. Thos darn tags are hard to read;)

·
Registered
515 Posts
I've never fished down there. I'm a creature of habit, and whenever I drive down from Williamsburg, I tend to migrate to familiar places.

As for the tags, 97685 isn't mine.

108583 however, is one of mine. He was 1st caught on May 9th at 12" from the beach near the HRBT on a Chartreuse leadhead, and Chartreuse Saltwater Assassin. The fish was then caught again from a boat fishing along the HRBT on May 31st.

Now I guess your friend caught him again, in October. And he's 13" and very lucky for being caught 3x this season. Also, he holds pretty true to the 1" every 100-days or so on growth.

THROW MORE BIG ONES BACK / PICK SOME GARBAGE UP

Jake Ace

·
Registered
634 Posts
well he isnt a friend of mine.. just walked out on pier and happened to start talking to him.....also noticed he had both tags in his wallet...so thats prob the last info you'll get from that fish...he said he let them go..but i'd be willing to bet they were sandwiches.

·
Registered
515 Posts
That's too bad. I always wonder what happens to all those smaller fish. I know it's a big, bad ocean out there, but you'd think after 4-years, now I'm pushing 2000 flounder tagged / released that you'd hear a little bit more.

However, I know a lot of the under 15"s are caught commercially in nets and dredged up and kept, and there's never any data reported on them. But I also suspect that a lot of the little ones are kept by unscrupulous individuals.

Those folks who use any and every excuse to keep an undersized flounder, and who will go to great lengths to try and conceal those undersized ones in the bottom of their bucket under all their gear wrapped in a towel ... or squirreled away in t-shirt at the bottom of a green duffel bag.

"Yeh, I see what you're doing. And yeh, I've got the Game Warden programmed on my speed dial on my cellphone. And, maybe I'm crouching down to retie a line. But more likely I'm calling the Marine Patrol with a very accurate description of what you're wearing, what you're doing, and where you're doing it."

And be aware, or not, there's a lot more folks like me out there then there used to be.

THROW MORE BIG ONES BACK / DON'T CHEAT / PICK SOME GARBAGE UP

Jake Ace

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
thanx for the reply man

1 - 10 of 10 Posts