Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Kenny I'm unclear about whether this would prohibit fishing over these wrecks or just stopping divers from breaking pieces off or otherwise messing with them. Have you heard any details about what they've done in other areas?

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They had a meeting about 2yrs ago on this.. Supposedly,they took some comments then,also they said at the time they had no intention of closing.. But,also had heard if they did close them,it would be like the monitor wreck.. It is the only wreck that is closed at this time here,and the only one that sets precedence for this... Don't know if you are familiar with monitor and regs around that wreck? Well I was bluewater fishing a lot when they closed it.. Not only could you not wreck fish it,you couldn't even troll over it... Many of captains down here aren't happy at all.. Can't say as I blame them,those wrecks support offshore fishing as well as inshore...

I was upset a few years back,thinking this was going to happen.. I watched a dive boat docked near where I docked come in several times with pieces of wrecks.. It came back once with a piece of the Protieus's stern!! In the past 20yrs diveboats are one of the latest greatest here,and will feel the biggest impact from this,although fishermen will be banned from accessing them as well..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts