Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the beach early, drove down to 25 and OMG there's not much beach!!!! That storm really took a lot of real estate. I played he$$ turning around and a ton of people! Saw one guy almost get stuck right off the ramp. I had to wait on him so I could get off that skinny beach so air down and air down again cause its soft and deep!!!. Oh yea all the restricted signage is still up. I find it hard to believe some bird or a turtle's nest survived all that.
Not much beach and a butt load of trucks equals tough! 27, 30, 32 all the same. :eek:
I got out of there and walked to a place to fish in the rain, lol
The fish are on strike also, its going to be a long two weeks I'm afraid but we'll keep getting after it.
More later....I hope a much better report.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does look like NPS would update the dang map doesn't it!

I went about 1/4 mile, didn't see any signage as far as I could see. What I did see was the ocean getting closer and closer to the dunes. Like maybe one lane width. I'm not that comfortable or experienced to chance conditions like that so I stopped.
When in doubt turn around, and almost didn't have room to do that! It was high tide I will say that.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wednesday 10/14/15

The West wind made the north beaches look like chocolate milk with a big dose of seaweed. I managed to catch a skate, two small black drum, a smaller trout and a blow fish, that was yesterday, Tuesday. Today I got up at 4:30AM and headed to Ocracoke. Fished 67, water dirty down there also and seaweed same on 70 but I didn't go south on 70. I fished 5 hours in that mess, caught 50# of seaweed :mad: a 11" seamullet and 2 of those elusive blow fish :) Plenty of other fisherpeople on Ocracoke also. Tradewinds is selling pinfish, croaker and spots for bait. They have no mullet. I saw only two skates caught today by others. Hope something turns around I got 9 more days to find a drum.

I did see a gentleman get stuck just off the ramp, he gets out of his truck with a tire gauge in his hand....whoops must have forgot something :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
I know im late on this and a different location but i was catching the same thing at Atlantic beach and Hammocks beach state park. Small pompano black drum and jacks. Damn seaweed! I did have a live finger mullet out and something took off with it but ended up with a headshake and then he must have let go.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Surfchunker how much air do you run in those tires while on the beach? I've got the same tire (in load range E) and run between 20 -25 lbs.

A beautiful day to be on the beach today, all we need is the fish to show up, lol

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Buckstand ... 20 rear and 22 front and if it is real soft 18 rear and 20 front. mine is the 6 or 8 ply not sure ... I put a couple extra pounds in the front cause of that heavy motor ... back in June at 45 I got stuck and had to take it on down to 15 & 17 but then it pulled right out. if you see us stop by and fish a bit or at least swap a few tales

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Buckstand ... 20 rear and 22 front and if it is real soft 18 rear and 20 front. mine is the 6 or 8 ply not sure ... I put a couple extra pounds in the front cause of that heavy motor ... back in June at 45 I got stuck and had to take it on down to 15 & 17 but then it pulled right out. if you see us stop by and fish a bit or at least swap a few tales
I'll do it and if you see me stop by also. I'm driving a gold (sandwood tan) Chevy Z71 Clemson front tag, no rod rack just a truck :)
Good luck!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Caught a few small flounder today. No drum but still a nice day.
I wondered how you're fishing was doing. I ate some great flounder tonight at the Captain's Table :D

As for my fishing.... one 3 ft. shark this morning and saw another guy catch one. Not much happening as far a catching but I did see baitfish in the surf, birds diving just past the surf and fish breaking outside the surf and some Dolphin. Surf was calm as a mill pond. Probably had a lot to do with the fish biting.

Good luck guys!!!

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
ha ha I had flounder at the Captains Table too ... Mrs Donna is the best ... we were there 6-7 ... her Husband Rick is a Charter Captain too

·
Registered
835 Posts
Yea catching bait at low tide hasn't been a problem. Getting drum to bite is another thing. I did catch one drum on Wednesday when I went over to Ocracoke. Still nice weather and vacation time to enjoy. All in all a few blues one drum and some flounder. And another week of vacation to go. Bad part is I hardly ever drink beer unless I'm at the beach and already went through 18 in a week. For me that's a lot. Thought about moving to the beach but afraid I would have to join AA. Lol something about beer and salt air. Got a love it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's a small world I was at Captains Table at the same time, lol. The parking lot was full, I parked on the shoulder of the entrance road.
Nothing on the drum for me but I heard some were caught today. The bite may start to pick up although the wind is suppose to pick up for the next two days (17 knots out of the NNW and N)

BTW: If the fishing don't start improving I might start drinking... and I don't drink :D

·
Registered
835 Posts
No fish for me today. Caught fresh bait but grass was so thick fishing was next to impossible at Oregon Inlet. Always tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts