Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this fish were all released back into the water in less than a minute. my friend was ready with the camera as soon as i grabbed them and popped the hook out. i saw as i always do people fight a fish for way too long and then grab him and walk it all the was back to their truck to measure and take a picture -- like five minutes or so the fish was out of the water. it really makes me sick to see that kind of thing going on.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
"like five minutes or so the fish was out of the water"

Not that anyone wants to hold their breath for too long, I wanted to point out
that when we were able to keep the the large Drum for consumption I can remember large Drum still being alive for an hour or more out of water as long as they were cool. Of course the plan was releasing them into hot oil or on the grill so I am not sure what is the time limit that guaranteed survival.

Certainly there are many people who want to document their catch and are as unprepared as you seem to be as they are inexperienced in the game.

As I remember all the first Drum I ever caught would have felt it was a blessing to get to go back in the water after only five minutes..unfortunately they were plain out of luck....

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Garboman;626804 Certainly there are many people who want to document their catch and are as unprepared as you seem to be as they are inexperienced in the game. QUOTE said:
sorry sir, but i think i'm as prepared as one can get. tape and camera in pocket and i thinks its crazy to think that keeping a fish out of water for more than a few moments is okay for them. it certainly doesn't help the fishery with that type of fish handling.
neither one of these fish were out of the water for more than a minute which perhaps is too long in itself.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
"sorry sir, but i think i'm as prepared as one can get"

I re read my statement as to whom was unprepared, and it looks like a typo on my part I attempting to refer to the folks that have to drag the fish to their truck, fill the fishes gills with Sand and then drag the fish back to the Drink. I was also attempting to point out that these fish are comparitively hardy and do not expire within mere moments as do the members of for example the Mackeral family.

I was actually attemting to commend you on being ready to take your pictures with the fish and get them back into the water. I wish I had more photos of the fish I have caught on the beach as I am not one carry a camera while wading and unless the Drum was particulary large never measure them and they only get tagged if someone asks me, otherwise the fish goes right back in so I can get another bait out into the school hopefully....besides if people who know me saw me dragging a Drum to my Truck on the premise of a photo.....well it might look kinda shady.......

Nice fish
Garbo

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Reel nice spot tail! Great pics too! :beer:

·
Registered
550 Posts
this fish were all released back into the water in less than a minute. my friend was ready with the camera as soon as i grabbed them and popped the hook out. i saw as i always do people fight a fish for way too long and then grab him and walk it all the was back to their truck to measure and take a picture -- like five minutes or so the fish was out of the water. it really makes me sick to see that kind of thing going on.

...U will just HAVE to keep getting SICK cause EVERYONE has to START SOMEWHERE and THAT FISH is someones MEMORIES and the REASON they PREPARED...DREAMED...SPENT BIG MONEY AND the reason they fish....
..just have to get over it....and if the fish dies....they all die sometime...

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Has anyone else noticed that sheepshead can live forever in a cooler if kept on ice? Those things are tough....had one still bucking when I tried to clean it 1.5h after i threw it in there.

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Catching a drum and getting it back in less than a minute is comendable,no doubt.. That IS the way it should be done... However drum are hardy fish,unlike a tarpon (probably the quickest to die out of the water) or a mackeral as Garbo said... When I tag one it is often out of the water for 2 minutes,maybe more,never timed it.. Even so, we do get returns on these fish,so they do survive..

Dragging a fish across the sand and leaving it out of the water for an extended time,just for a pic,is pushing it to the edge... I see the point of your saying this to educate those that have never caught one,and it IS important to release as soon as possible..

BTW,did you get a fl or tl measurement on the fish?? If so what was it??

·
Registered
10 Posts
you're kidding, right?

...U will just HAVE to keep getting SICK cause EVERYONE has to START SOMEWHERE and THAT FISH is someones MEMORIES and the REASON they PREPARED...DREAMED...SPENT BIG MONEY AND the reason they fish....
..just have to get over it....and if the fish dies....they all die sometime...
There's some kind of thing about number of posts and size of fish you've caught that lets you argue back at someone, and ok, I don't have either, but there is just so much that's wrong with this statement.

1. If someone prepares, dreams, and spends big money, why can't he put enough thought into keeping a pliers, a camera, and a measuring tape in his pockets? Obviously chadwick shows that its possible.

2. Why does the fact that it is someone's MEMORIES mean its ok to unnecessarily torture the fish? One of my favorite captains told me, you gotta remember, for us this is for fun and for trophies, but the fish is fighting for his life. I catch, kill, and eat 'em like the rest of you, but that's one of G-d's creatures, and deserves some respect. Maybe other people are different, but my MEMORIES aren't enough to justify extra distress, and I don't ever want to become the kind of person who looks on something like that kind of selfish behavior without getting sick.

3. They all die sometimes? What? Do you even know why we have slot limits? Why we don't keep big reds? Those fish are the breeders, and when some genius unnecessarily kills one for his memories, he takes potentially thousands more fish out of the water in the coming years.

Flame on back, y'all, but someone had to say something here.

PS--gorgeous fish, and I admire your ethic, sir.

·
Registered
121 Posts
There's some kind of thing about number of posts and size of fish you've caught that lets you argue back at someone, and ok, I don't have either, but there is just so much that's wrong with this statement.

1. If someone prepares, dreams, and spends big money, why can't he put enough thought into keeping a pliers, a camera, and a measuring tape in his pockets? Obviously chadwick shows that its possible.

2. Why does the fact that it is someone's MEMORIES mean its ok to unnecessarily torture the fish? One of my favorite captains told me, you gotta remember, for us this is for fun and for trophies, but the fish is fighting for his life. I catch, kill, and eat 'em like the rest of you, but that's one of G-d's creatures, and deserves some respect. Maybe other people are different, but my MEMORIES aren't enough to justify extra distress, and I don't ever want to become the kind of person who looks on something like that kind of selfish behavior without getting sick.

3. They all die sometimes? What? Do you even know why we have slot limits? Why we don't keep big reds? Those fish are the breeders, and when some genius unnecessarily kills one for his memories, he takes potentially thousands more fish out of the water in the coming years.

Flame on back, y'all, but someone had to say something here.

PS--gorgeous fish, and I admire your ethic, sir.
I was thinking the same thing. if anyone wants to flame about that it is because they have no idea what they are talking about. Some people need to get their head out of their own a_s and starting thinking of others, and the long term affect their actions causing.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
"1. If someone prepares, dreams, and spends big money, why can't he put enough thought into keeping a pliers, a camera, and a measuring tape in his pockets? "

That method of preparation would would fit the description of someone who has experience in the game and knows what he needs to play in the game.
Obviously Mr. Chadwick does, which is good however;

It does not fit the other 500,000 folks traveling to Cape Point each year who happened to buy a 4x4 and some of whom happened to get a big Drum on the end of their line for the first time and have no experience in the matter. 2mil Tourist a year come to the OBX, a fair amount of those make their way to Hatteras, their skills will vary as will their ethics. training.

Whether or not they can not get a fish in a fast, or release it as fast as one man, its because they are the Grizwolds and like all the other Pilgrims before them. are new to the game and will make every error as most of us did at one time. Rather than getting angry at the inexperienced, either ignore them or if you care to help them out. Or you can hold yourself in a perception of a higher light and continue to get angry, might as well stay angry cause there are thousands more Pilgrims on their way..

·
Registered
550 Posts
"1. If someone prepares, dreams, and spends big money, why can't he put enough thought into keeping a pliers, a camera, and a measuring tape in his pockets? "

That method of preparation would would fit the description of someone who has experience in the game and knows what he needs to play in the game.

It does not fit the other 500,000 folks traveling to Cape Point each year who happened to buy a 4x4 and some of whom happened to get a big Drum on the end of their line for the first time and have no experience in the matter. 2mil Tourist a year come to the OBX, a fair amount of those make their way to Hatteras, their skills will vary as will their ethics. training.

Whether or not they can not get a fish in a fast, or release it as fast as one man, its because they are the Grizwolds and like all the other Pilgrims before them. are new to the game and will make every error as most of us did at one time. Rather than getting angry at the inexperienced, either ignore them or if you care to help them out. Or you can hold yourself in a perception of a higher light and continue to get angry, might as well stay angry cause there are thousands more Pilgrims on their way..
..damn U are GOOD WITH WORDS garbo....I USE TO BE...That says EXACTLY what I was saying in my 1st post....no need to FLAME the ARROGRANT....they be professionals BECAUSE they get to fish more and NOW can PIC AND CHOOSE and have lost their 1st feeling toward a big fish..(me too for some species)

The 1st fish is SOMEONES MOST CHREISHED MEMORY...they make 11 by 14's out of the Picture and hang then all over their wall and keep em on their puter at work...
They fish once or twice a year and live thru the reports of this stupied net..

They finally HOOK that one big one after MUCH EFFORT and MONEY AND TIME SPENT and keep it out of the water LONGER than SOME think they should..
..GET OVER IT!! ...IF IT DIES..IT DIES..
I hate to bust U professionals bubble but NO ONE is SAVING THE FISH for U!!!
The fish is MY MEMORY... ACE'S IN THE HOLE!!!!
I TRY to do the RIGHT THING..but i ain't gonna CRY IF EVERYTHING don't work out ACCORDING to U BOYSs LAW of DRUM FISHING!!!..(GOT IT??..COMPREND??)

Fishing is pretty much a PERSONAL JOUNEY...A PERSONAL SET of PRIORITES..

....MY MEMORIES are MINE..U ain't GOT nothing to do with MY MEMORIES!!!
...And again...THEY ALL DIE SOMETIME!!!!!..

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts

EXACTLY!! Hit the nail on the head with that one.. You have to bear in mind there are beginers,all of us were one at one time...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts