Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
13', LDX rod, 4 oz. I've been practicing the Hatteras cast, watched several vids, didn't see any specifics on the drop length to start out with.
Looks like Tommy is dropped about half, maybe 2/3 the length of the rod. If it's not a given length, but determined by the variables, how is the optimal drop determined ?
Thanks

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was initially trying it dropped to the reel, like a pendulum, but had trouble getting the timing right. I did notice half rod worked much better, just wondered if there was a "standard" of sorts.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,946 Posts
I was initially trying it dropped to the reel, like a pendulum, but had trouble getting the timing right. I did notice half rod worked much better, just wondered if there was a "standard" of sorts.
Thanks
Since you're new to the cast drop your sinker to the second guide until you get your timing down. Put the most concentration in Pulling with your left arm than pushing with your right arm and shoulder. Providing you cast Right Handed

The LDX is a very limited rod and 4 ounces loads it easily. You really dont need a Hatteras Cast to send it with that rod.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since you're new to the cast drop your sinker to the second guide until you get your timing down. Put the most concentration in Pulling with your left arm than pushing with your right arm and shoulder. Providing you cast Right Handed
Just sent a few from the first eye, felt just a little miss timed "bump" in the swing but no blowup, just a bit of fluff. 330' av.
Will shorten it and try some more tomorrow.
The LDX is a very limited rod and 4 ounces loads it easily. You really dont need a Hatteras Cast to send it with that rod.
So, just the stock standard overhead cast is about the best to expect from this rod ? That sends 40z over 100 yds all day.
I'm shootin for 150. Maybe that's asking a bit much ?
Thanks DB2

·
Registered
103 Posts
Any rod in that price range should be capable of at least 150-175 yards with a Hatteras cast (on a field) so I wouldn’t worry about that.

Start with the drop where other people recommended. If the cast goes left, use a slightly longer drop. If it goes right, shorten.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Payload drop off the tip is subjective with distance in mind, where longer will achieve a higher arc and distance (if the cast completes correctly). Find what works best for you (your rod and your casting abilities).

Payload tracking is all about the release and your technique. Practice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts