Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed down tonight to fish Saturday and Sunday.

gonna try for the pomps, got some float rigs made up..

any of you guys down that way?... I know River used to frequent 55 alot.. but I havent been on here in years.. . (had to create new account)

got any tips on colors or synthetic flavors that are hot right now.. ?

side note... River showed me how to tie a "River Rig" in the parking lot of Dick's Sporting goods in winston salem years back... Ive used it ever since with excellent results from here to Florida...

I'll post an update regardless...

good to be back on..

Drumbeater
AKA Chase

·
Registered
374 Posts
Headed down tonight to fish Saturday and Sunday.

gonna try for the pomps, got some float rigs made up..

any of you guys down that way?... I know River used to frequent 55 alot.. but I havent been on here in years.. . (had to create new account)

got any tips on colors or synthetic flavors that are hot right now.. ?

side note... River showed me how to tie a "River Rig" in the parking lot of Dick's Sporting goods in winston salem years back... Ive used it ever since with excellent results from here to Florida...

I'll post an update regardless...

good to be back on..

Drumbeater
AKA Chase
I left a week ago, it was slow. Mostly whiting and croaker. Small... I did see a few pomps caught but not many. Honestly I tried a great deal of rigs and bait, floats, no floats..you name it. Surf was rough though and wind pretty bad while there. At times it took 6 oz to hold a pomp rig and that is not good. They have the point for all intents shut off. Bird season again. We tried 48/49, no difference. If you have not seen 55 in a good while be careful at high tide as there are a couple places that can get you. take care and good luck..........as a edit I would stop by in the morning and ask Lee at the Lair whats up. he can tell ya.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I left a week ago, it was slow. Mostly whiting and croaker. Small... I did see a few pomps caught but not many. Honestly I tried a great deal of rigs and bait, floats, no floats..you name it. Surf was rough though and wind pretty bad while there. At times it took 6 oz to hold a pomp rig and that is not good. They have the point for all intents shut off. Bird season again. We tried 48/49, no difference. If you have not seen 55 in a good while be careful at high tide as there are a couple places that can get you. take care and good luck..........as a edit I would stop by in the morning and ask Lee at the Lair whats up. he can tell ya.
Thanks, Gonna give it a go, I should get there around 9ish tonight.. are you seeing any fleas?

·
Registered
858 Posts
On 55 go South past the second turnout, several holes down there .... throw out on the upstream side of the hole as far as you can throw. If the waters clear you can see a deeper water drop by the water turning a darker color .... throw in the edge of that if you can, try no beads and big fleas, I use 2 big fleas back to back sometimes ..... I remember meeting you, glad the rig worked out ... it definitely works ........ Good Luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On 55 go South past the second turnout, several holes down there .... throw out on the upstream side of the hole as far as you can throw. If the waters clear you can see a deeper water drop by the water turning a darker color .... throw in the edge of that if you can, try no beads and big fleas, I use 2 big fleas back to back sometimes ..... I remember meeting you, glad the rig worked out ... it definitely works ........ Good Luck
Hey River,
Good to hear from you… I appreciate the tips… I was heading down tonight as I said but some stuff has come up at work…. You know what they say about having plans lol… I’ll shoot for next weekend Really itching to get down there… thanks for the tips on where to look..

Drumbeater
AKA Chase

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hey River I told Lee you spoke highly of him, he just blushed. Whats up with calling you "old man River"?? :) I guess you can tell I think a lot of Lee.

·
Registered
374 Posts
This is probably a really stupid question... but how's the crowd? lots of people still?
Yeap, pretty bad. I drove through 43/44 and just kept on trucking. I'm not in to the pile on fishing common on the point any more. Plus a ton of guys on surf boards taking a lot of the beach. 48/49 was LOT of kids and swimmers. 55 I guess was the more spaced out of the bunch. Rough as the surf was while there many did not stay very long. Its sure not the OBX I first saw 50 years ago...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeap, pretty bad. I drove through 43/44 and just kept on trucking. I'm not in to the pile on fishing common on the point any more. Plus a ton of guys on surf boards taking a lot of the beach. 48/49 was LOT of kids and swimmers. 55 I guess was the more spaced out of the bunch. Rough as the surf was while there many did not stay very long. Its sure not the OBX I first saw 50 years ago...
I bet not, thanks for the reply… it was pretty crowded in June also… I am trying to get down there once a month… April was excellent… I fished Rodanthe… and caught lots of drum… most days I was the only one fishing… I didn’t know if the crowd dissipated any in the dog days of summer… I am making it a point to get down there this weekend… hoping there’s room to fish

·
Registered
374 Posts
I recently read where the first 6 months of this year broke all records except 2021 as far a "visitors" to the OBX. My personal opinion is next year will drop for 2 reason's. recession and rental prices that border the insane...........

·
Registered
63 Posts
Drumbeater2 there was piles of fleas right at the closer @ 44 a couple weeks ago. Might still be there IDK. I will be looking myself. I’m in a silver Tacoma with a camper shell on it piled full of rods 🤷‍♂️🤣. Stop by if you see me. Retired it wouldn’t hurt my feelings one bit if your opinion is 💯 % correct 😁

·
Registered
775 Posts
I recently read where the first 6 months of this year broke all records except 2021 as far a "visitors" to the OBX. My personal opinion is next year will drop for 2 reason's. recession and rental prices that border the insane...........
We have rented the same 4 br. oceanfront house in Buxton for many years, 3 yrs. ago it was approx. $1500 a week for the 1st week in May, now it's approx. $3400 for the same time frame, I can't swing that, as you said, ''insane'', but as long as people pay that price, it will continue like everything we are all paying too much for. The same people just continue to get rich in this country, greed and corruption at its finest!, it's time!

·
Registered
46 Posts
We have rented the same 4 br. oceanfront house in Buxton for many years, 3 yrs. ago it was approx. $1500 a week for the 1st week in May, now it's approx. $3400 for the same time frame, I can't swing that, as you said, ''insane'', but as long as people pay that price, it will continue like everything we are all paying too much for. The same people just continue to get rich in this country, greed and corruption at its finest!, it's time!
yea our house on bay drive in KDH has been $1,875 for the week for years. Last year it went to $3450. we didnt go last year so we are able to double up on it this year, but it will be the last time we stay in this house which makes me pretty sad.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts