Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to today's VA Pilot, Harrisons and the Thirsty Camel have been sold to Ron and Judy Boone. They say at this point that they do not intend on razing the pier, but they want to develop either condos or a hotel on the property. I'm not so sure that the pier will fit in that environment, and money talks. I'd hate to see it go. It's the last thing there since they tore down the Ocean View Amusement Park that I have fond memories of as a kid. Maybe the pier would qualify as a historic site, like Jennettes did down in Nags Head. Could this be the death knell for another shore site for us?

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
That parking lots and the surrounding area are prime waterfront. I seriously doubt they'll choose anglers over wealthy tenants.

I hate to sound pessimistic, but say goodbye to a Tidewater landmark...

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Yup $$$$$$ talks and bull sh.................:( unfortunately.

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
well....

...it looks gloomy, based on the article, although the Boone's said they are open to public comment. Which they are required to do in any development action they take on. Are folks concerned enough to let their feelings known? We'll see....I live(own) down the street and will comment once I know what's on the table.

The pier will not disappear anytime soon. But it could face similar restrictions that Hat80 is dealing with. I don't fish on the pier very often, but I fish near it frequently, and I'm interested in the beach access issues there and in surrounding areas. Things are changing in Willoughby....

To tear down the pier would require a fairly large environmental study. Public comment is a big part of that. Rebuilding would be out of the question, refurbishment not.

Hopefully, the Boone's will see the benefit of keeping Harrison Pier, the Camel(for god's sake), and their clientele around for years to come.

The only part that get's me is seeing the ownership of the pier and the camel change hands........:jawdrop:

Never thunk it in a million years

·
Registered
634 Posts
the boone's are making a killing here now..but like the article said they were the only ones investing in oceanview when noone wanted to invest.. now is thier payday...i dont see them keepin the pier around... i do see them tearing down the camel and building something new in its place and naming it the "thristy camel" ..which will prob only cater to an upscale crowd than the average joe crowd they have now....i went there for the first time a couple of weekends ago..i love it just the way it is... really laid back..i got drunk and shot pool all night lol

i really cant see them pouring alot of money into that old pier..they would bascially have to rebuild it to bring it up to code..but i'd hate to see it go for sure...they have the cheapest minnows in the whole area... $1.50 a doz!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Re: well....

Dr. Bubba said:

Never thunk it in a million years
That's what I say too. This news comes right outta left field.

And about the comment that the Boone's are open to public comment.
Well that's probably what the law requires. Or they figure is good PR. I've seen it and heard it before.

Just as this was kept hush hush til the deal was finalized (in turn keeping the competition away).........I don't see how the public's comments are going to make a difference what so ever. They had a vision long before they presented their offer and now that vision is well on it's way to being realized. They are pros. So look for this investment to pay off for them.

I am glad I was able to spend more time fishing Harrison's this year. In addition to having fond memories that go back to my teen years, I have some more recent ones now...and so do my kids. Looks like it ends with that generation. [email protected], I was looking forward to spending days and nights on Harrisons with my future grandkids. Guess I'll have to settle with telling them about the pier that once was. :(

My final thoughts:
The tears are flowing. And now there's a lump in my throat. I need a moment.:(

·
Registered
125 Posts
This really sucks! I've been going to Harrison's since I was a child. I remember when they had big row boats and they would tow you out past the pier and you could fish and fish and fish. Very fond memories of my whole family spending time together in a boat, fishing and talking. To get back in you could row:eek: , or raise your oar and they would come tow you back in. Used rope wrapped around a big piece of cork to fish with. Am I dating myself?? Guess so. Spent alot of time at the amusment park. Never did like the roller coast!! Yesterday was the 11th anniversity of my Dad's death. Nice to think about the fun times we had and very sad they will probably tear down a landmark. They call this progress.

Oh well, must make hay while the sun shines, so it will be off to pier hopping this weekend to see if I can find some fish. Mom still needs to catch that 18" flounder although she might settle for a big stripper. Can you keep them now and if so, what is the size limit? Hope to see some of you on the piers before they tear it down. As always, look for the burgundy wheelchair and a 5 ft, gray haired lady on oxygen sitting in it. That will be Catfishmama's mama. She is a treat to meet and fish by. :D I won't be far away. Oh, by the way, she is VERY competitive.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I just listened to Judy Boone do a interview with Jeff from 106.9 the Fox. She was asked the question about the fate of The Camel and the pier. She stated that those places will just get better and the will have to sell a lot of shrimp and bait. She also spoke fondley of the Snack bar in front Harrison's, describing a good lunch is to go buy a burger (they toasted the bun on the grill) and take a walk on the pier.
These are not direct quote's and I believe I took nothing out of context.
I feel very hopeful about these two places.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I'll try to have a positive view of things

It's just that if a condo complex or hotel/motel of sorts does go on the site and the pier remains as a useable entity designated for angling, what will happen to accessible parking. Thar surely will become a major issue if parking priority is given to patrons or residents of a resulting hotel/motel/condo? Spaces there are already tight as it is.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Well anything that starts off with "WE WON"T Change anything" is full of CRAP......They are after the all mighty dollar and could not give a rats @ss about anything else........ Plain and simple..... JAM

·
Registered
634 Posts
well if they do tear it down there is a pier at the willoughby marina...it goes out into little bay...very few ppl fish there and i think its only a couple of dollars...you pay at the lil bait store there.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have read a lot of good reports from this board about harrisons pier, but never got the chance to fish there yet. I guess I will have to make a point to get out there while you still can.

For those of you that have concerns about the pier make them known. It may or may not help, but if you give your opinion on the pier, it will be better than watching it go without a fight.

Maybe someone can start a thread here Title HARRISONS PIER and everyone that has something to say to the owners could post there. The results could be printed out and mailed to the appropriate places.

Just my suggestion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts