Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Harrison's 9/01/03

Fished Monday from 8am-3pm and yes there are pompano being caught. you can forget any surf fishing methods you may know, as they did not work. what does work is using the jig from a Spec rig next to the pillings. bring alot, as you will loose some if you do it right.............

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the person in the article was the host for the tv show the weekend fisherman. he is also the same person that posted on tidalfissh.com. the article in sundays paper is mostly about him and was talking about the good pompono fishing at harrison's pier. i got ot get down there NOW. :D

Rick

·
Registered
39 Posts
Use Fishfinder brand Sabiki rigs with gold hooks..look for the fish swimming around the pilings in schools. Use small bits of fresh shrimp and when the fish attack, hook them sideways, otherwise youll pull the hook right out (learned all of this from fishing on the Nags Head Pier).

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Pompano are there ! Although I'm not the host of the Weekend Fisherman I do co-host from time to time . That said, we weren't snagging them they were hitting a 1/8 to 1/4 jig that we take off of a spec rig ( double jig ) sold @ the pier ? I used 14 lb. mono w/ 20 lb. floro leader. I prefer the break down of either tide , allowing the jig to run under the pier so you are actually fishing the piling behind you ? It can get frustrating watching others catch til you get the hang of it . pink/white or orange have been productive . I also put a small bait hook as a trailer / stinger hook to minimize the short bites ? It helps . If the current is moving flip your jig maybe 20' in front of you , allowing it to sink just a little before going into gear . As it washes back to the pier you can begin jigging as soon as it gets vertical . then let it wash under the pier & it will rise in the water coloum as it goes behind you . Keep jigging as the hit is usually on the drop, sometimes you only feel the jig pause in it's descent ? Very subtle , other times they can hit like a freight train ! when you hook up you have to get him out of the pilings as to not break 'em off , which I did until I got a grip on it . 1 1/2 lber. will be about 14 1/2 to 15 " . Hope this helps & I think those fish are on other piers & not being fished like they do @ Harrison's ? Good luck when you go ....

·
Registered
145 Posts
want to thank all that have replied to the pompano post and harrisons. went again wed and the friend a took caught one, a 1lb 9oz citation.........me........skunked..........can't wait until my day comes. the info provided in this post shows that the users are not afraid to help others. i tire of boards where methods are treated like CIA secrets. thanks for all the good info.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry Scott I did not intend to state that you are the host of the Weekend Fisherman but only for this particular episode. Sorry for the inconvience.

Rick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts