Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Smallmouth Bass are the best fighters IMHO.

Have had a few nice ones over the years, mostly using a fly rod, mostly in the Potomac River at some secret spots and some well known spots, also in feeder streams to the Potomac.

·
Registered
113 Posts
as the word bass is used as a group name to call many species of fish so here I was actually referring to them.....sorry for improper definition
No problem. I wasn't sure if you were talking freshwater or the various sea basses.

I agree with the folks who think the smallmouth bass (and to your point, LMB and SMB are actually sunfishes), are the harder fighting of the freshwater basses. My preferred locations for them are the Susquehanna River and its tributaries up around Harrisburg PA, as I've caught more than my share of 4lb + fish in those. I also caught some really nice ones in the Ottawa River up in Ontario.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Seems like everyone here is bass fishing professional may be some of you guys can help me out, I actually have a friendly contest with my friends on catching small mouth bass, I have been using Dobyns Rod Fury series but I haven't seen any exceptional results , so can any body suggest me a good rod , actually I am in search of a lightweight rod. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
113 Posts
When it comes to catching smallies, I don't think the rod is the biggest variable, maybe not even top 5. Yeah, you want a decent rod, but I don't think that spending more than $100 for a rod will result in any more fish, and that price would get you a Fenwick Eagle or a St Croix Triumph and they're great rods for smallmouth. I've also caught a ton of smallies using Berkeley Lightning rods over the years.

But are you lake fishing, river fishing, or fishing streams? I might not use the same gear and techniques if I were fishing a Tennessee impoundment, a Canadian river, or a mid-Atlantic stream.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seems like everyone here is bass fishing professional may be some of you guys can help me out, I actually have a friendly contest with my friends on catching small mouth bass, I have been using Dobyns Rod Fury series but I haven't seen any exceptional results , so can any body suggest me a good rod , actually I am in search of a lightweight rod. Any suggestions??
Well you can give a try to Ugly stik, it is quite good rod, lightweight and even budget friendly and most best thing it is very easy to use, as a beginner I used it and still with me,
Office supplies Writing implement Writing instrument accessory Pen Font

·
Administrator
724 Posts
welcome to the forum, Julie-the-Angler, Jon Sandoval and CalebMacdonald

I see you guys are waving the Pakistan flag. Could you share some of your fishing experiences with us?
and photos - we love to see photos from other countries.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts