Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've taken a week away from work to come down and do some fishing. I was hoping to get a shot at some cobia, but these water temps around here have pretty much put an end to that idea. Guess I'll have to hit the Banks to have a shot at them.

I'll be putzing around Lynnhaven, Willoughby, Buckroe, the Seagull, Sandbridge and a few places (e.g. the bars) on the Banks during this week. Say howdy if I see you on the water or slouched over a pint.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Go ahead, rub it in......thought you had work to do???

Hope Ya snag one of those Brown Pigs, and do a "snort" for me ;)

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Flea, gonna hit the Lesner, west side, outside bar tomorrow a/m about 0430 for an early-morning-before-work run. Outgoing tide, w/ low @ 0630 & current til 0800 and light s/w winds. Should be good conditions for fishing and maybe catching if our "finned-friends" bother to show. Give it a thought if you're gonna try this area first before you hit the banks. If you do it's a light-wt. spinning gear/ lure-throwing area.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Wouldn't be too guick to give up on tidewater,but I may be talkin my position.If the temps stay up here and the clouds stay away(not the forecast but what do they know?)we might get a surprise visit from Mr.Brown!!I'm bettin real soon. the R

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
please not MR BROWN again he must be like a god or something , if ya dont mind me asking what does MR BROWN do for you folks :p :cool:

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well day one was not too great. After doing some yard work for my grandparents, I hit Lynnhaven in the afternoon. A few folks had caught stripers earlier in the day (one guy had an obviously undersized fish) and a few small flounder came in.

I guess the highlight of the day came when I saw/heard a huge splash under the Lesner bridge out of the corner of my eye. Thinking a dolphin had breached, I turned to see a head surface. The head yelled at another guy on the bridge, "Come on you [expletive], jump!" So the other idiot followed suit and plunged into the inlet.

The second guy surfaced and seconds after they swam to shore, police boats swarmed the inlet. The two daredevils were never caught and on this day did not win a Darwin award, but about a half an hour later a car drove over the bridge, slowed down, and one of the guys stuck his head out the window and howled at the top of his lungs. Sort of like a wolf pissing to mark his turf, I guess.

I swung by Lighthouse to pick up a couple of reels and ran into Fishman (who works there). While explaining why I blew up the site last week :( , the guy in line asked who we were on the site. Turns out it was chest2head & glassy. We talked for awhile, then I headed home and made dinner.

I will get that cobe this week....

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
good post sand flea....keep everyone up to date on your venture and where we might be on the lookout for you!! the R

·
Registered
300 Posts
two daredevils were never caught and on this day did not win a Darwin award, but about a half an hour later a car drove over the bridge, slowed down, and one of the guys stuck his head out the window and howled at the top of his lungs. Sort of like a wolf pissing to mark his turf, I guess.
hahahahahaha...man that is so funny the way you told the story. HAHA.

Hope to see you while you are here - I will be out at Lynnhaven sometime this week, definately this weekend.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guess I'll keep putting reports here....

Yesterday I hit the Seagull in the afternoon. Nothing but a blue and two skates, one of which actually bit on the eel I had out for cobia.

Today I swung by Lynnhaven a couple of times. Nothing was happening, although someone did apparently catch a big black drum earlier in the day (I wasn't there to see it).

I went by Chick's around 6:30 and put out squid and peelers. Within minutes I had a 19-inch black drum on the beach, followed soon by a 17-incher. It was beautiful--there was almost no one on the beach at all and the air temps were perfect. I ran into chest2head&glassy again, who was pitching a bucktail for blues.

Tomorrow, I'm hitting the Rudee headboats for seabass.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the action on the head boat was pretty slow. We ran out past the Chesapeake LIght Tower in search of a wreck that had fish on it.

I only caught three, but then again my third fish was the winner of the biggest fish pool...fifty bucks :D

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
If you want seabass you should stop in OC and try the morning star. The price is $70 but the trip is limited to 25 people and the captain does everything he can to catch you a limit and I think there are a few tautog left.
-Anthony

1 - 12 of 12 Posts