Pier and Surf Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

gx2

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  stevec8787 
#1 ·
ugly stik gx2 spin rod rated 1/8-3/4 9ft medium....anyone have any experience with this...looking for cheap option to fling mirrolure and jigs a decent distance in the surf for drum and trout

#3 ·
There should be plenty of options for that.. I have found ugly sticks to be too parabolic for casting lures,but that could just be me?? I have bought 7' selstar rods for catching trout with jigs for the parties I take out and they work fine.. There are other companies as well that have a more affordable rod for that.. Most well stocked tackle shops have a 7' rod that is affordable and has a little backbone with some tip as well...

#4 ·
thanks for the input so far....i was looking at 9 foot because a lot of folks seem to be talking about salmon/steelhead rods with longer lengths to whip it out there and a couple sites had the gx2 under salmon/steelhead category....i have a good 7 footer for inshore.....just cant seem to cast very far with it in the surf...unless i find a hole very close to shore its kind of useless in the surf

#6 ·
Perhaps not an answer to your question on an inexpensive rod, but after many years of looking for the just right rod and reel for surf trout fishing, at 67 I found what I like. The reel is very important for distance. For surf trout I use a daiwa ss1600 and a St Croix 8 1/2 ' steelhead rod. Whatever rod you choose, get a reel with a long cast spool. best of luck -- glenn

#7 ·
thanks for the input! it may have not answered my initial question it does give me things to consider in the future when I feel confident in spending a few extra bucks for better gear....I was primarily a throw some bait and wait for something to pull type of fisherman....however I had some small amounts of success with jigs these past few months and find it to be a bit more engaging...so just want to make myself more versatile and see how i do....

#8 ·
A 7-8' rod will get all the distance you need if you listen to what gsilvar said in his post.. I would say as much as anything line CAN and DOES play a roll as well as the reel.. For instance,a 2000 or 3000 series reels vs a 4000 series in say affordable penn battle or other reel that is as smooth.. I'm using 6lb crystal firelin for this and it has preformed flawlessly for this purpose,both last ability and cast ability.. Some use 10lb powerpro.. If you give a small diameter braid a chance it will make distance,promise... If not use a small diameter mono,say 8-10.. I really believe it will improve your distance WITHOUT having to buy a new rod,if you already have a 7' rod that fits the bill.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.