Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is best for fishing (flounder, drum, and striper), Gulp or Gulp Alive? Does it make a difference which one you use? Last of all I would appreciate if people that use gulp explain the best ways to rig or fish the Gulp including the type of hook and size.

Thank you

·
Banned
969 Posts
4" chartreuse swimin' mullet on a 1/4oz. red jighead .
you need nothin' else.
gulp is in the bags ...gulp alive is in the tub.. there the same thing except the quantity you get

·
Registered
135 Posts
Don't get the gulp alive until you have played with the gulps in the package.
find one that you like and that will catch fish then get the alive ones.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Chartreuse Swimming Mullet works best for me. I've caught every species in the bay on it. Jig head or Carolina rigged. Each fish requires a different type of retrieve depending on where you're at. New Penny shrimp is second place, on the same rigs. I haven't used them all, so I'm not good with the pogy or the jerk shad yet, but I'm sure they work well too. They are very expensive, especially if you fish often. I buy the buckets for $20 because I can go through an entire package in one night. I wouldn't use them for schoolies or blues, or in an area where those species are located (light lines or bridge pilings), they just get eaten up too fast.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
I have had the best luck with the jerk shad in 4-5" in Pearl and chartreuse on a 1/2ozto 3/8oz jig head for schoolies,blues,pups and specks. Used the new penny shrimp last weekend and got some pups and specks. Have not tried the gulp alive but as I understand it,it is the same thing just in a larger container. As a earlier poster said, find what works and then get the tubs.

·
Registered
728 Posts
fully agree
we did a post not too long ago about this

Cdog-
The gulp Alive is a more open celled/ softer bait that absorbs the sent much better. next time you have the chance, take a 5" jerk shad and feel it and feel the 5" jerk shad out of the container. The one out of the container should be much softer-thus this does mean the glup alive will not last as long.

BIG NOTE- keep the jar of juice- put different baits in it and let them soak- We've made some kick butt Bass Assian's this way

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
fully agree
we did a post not too long ago about this

Cdog-
The gulp Alive is a more open celled/ softer bait that absorbs the sent much better. next time you have the chance, take a 5" jerk shad and feel it and feel the 5" jerk shad out of the container. The one out of the container should be much softer-thus this does mean the glup alive will not last as long.

BIG NOTE- keep the jar of juice- put different baits in it and let them soak- We've made some kick butt Bass Assian's this way
Good info, thanks!

·
Registered
317 Posts
PS dont leave the gulp alives on a jig and throw it in the back of your car and leave eit for a few days . They dry up and shrink . So you basically have to cut off a piece of hard plastic off your hook .Best thing is if it is not destroyed fishing . Put it back in the container .

·
Registered
199 Posts
PS dont leave the gulp alives on a jig and throw it in the back of your car and leave eit for a few days . They dry up and shrink . So you basically have to cut off a piece of hard plastic off your hook .Best thing is if it is not destroyed fishing . Put it back in the container .
thats what i do.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I never stayed my friend had a change of plan so as of now I have still never caught any drum, flounder, or striper. You been lately? What you catch?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts