Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone in that area that can give some information on the completion and opening dates? Per the State website, the pier was to be completed and open in March 2009, but nothing further has been posted. Just trying to get more information before I make the drive and possibly be disappointed. Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
It's gonna be a nice pier!

I think they are a few months behind because of weather and will be early summer at best.

You can go to emerald coast pier fishing forum and catch up on the latest.

A good site to pick up a few ideas and what's being caught.

I think Pensacola and Okaloosa are the next closest.

Bubba Feesh

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bubba Feesh, I redirected my vacation this year from PC to Gulf Shores in hopes that the pier there would be open as it seems the one in PC wont be open by then. I have never fished the Pensacola Pier but am very familiar with the Okaloosa Island Pier. We arent coming until the 1st week of June so hopefully they will be able to get it done by then.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got off the phone with someone at Gulf State Park. It seems the construction on the pier is not slated for completion until sometime in July now. Sounds like I will be heading towards Pensacola for pier fishing this trip, or hitting the pass etc. Now im totally bummed out, but any day fishing beats any day working.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I will be in Orange Beach June 5-12 and I was also hoping the pier would be open. I have never fished over there before, only from the pier in PC and Tampa. Is the surf fishing from the beach any good?

·
Registered
978 Posts
I will be in Orange Beach June 5-12 and I was also hoping the pier would be open. I have never fished over there before, only from the pier in PC and Tampa. Is the surf fishing from the beach any good?
I have had fun fishing the surf at Orange Beach and Gulf Shores. Blue Fish and Lady Fish mostly though. Used Bubble Rig with a Straw or Clouser Minnow behind it. I caught this little Redfish a couple years back on a bubble/straw rig.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Yup, heard they're already catching kings and flounder off it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
ya just got back from there tonight. Seems fishing slowed a bit tonight mainly just flounder and blues and the occasional angel. We did get a barracuda though haha. I'll probably give it a few days to slow down a bit, it was crazy when I first got there at like 7 tonight. Nice pier though, and its going to be great for the kings and hopefully the speck soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pier gates were opened at 11:00A.M. July 20. Will be open 24/7 from now on. over a dozen kings put on pier in first 3 hrs. after opening. Opening day was unbelievable. Bottom bumpers absolutely crushed the flounders. Bluefish were so thick they became pests at times. Two large schools of bull reds came through and all heck broke loose. Here are my experiences for five hrs. of fishing, one 30lb+ bull red, one 8lb. Barracuda, Two dozen blues 2lb avg. and 3 good runs from kings. Very enjoyable day. If you are headed this way any time soon, be sure to stop at one of the local tackle shops for some fresh bait. none around the pier, too many toothy critters around. Tight lines!!!!!

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Keep the reports coming!

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Trolley rigs get in the way. Over here, everyone flatlines live or dead baits for kings.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Gulf State Park Pier Opening Week report...

Getting to see and fish the brand new 1540' pier for a day was great!
But getting to see and fish the brand new 1540' pier for the whole first week was PRICELESS :fishing:

My wife and I arrived in Gulf Shores Sunday evening for a week of rest and fishing.
Here's the view from the front porch of the house where we stayed :cool:

Needless to say (after a 58 month wait) I was anxious to see the pier (up close) and get out there when it opened.
My wife said I was like a kid on Christmas morning sneaking a peak under the tree as I was up at the crack of dawn to walk the beach to the pier ;)

Dawn was 'coolish' for late July with clear skies and a light northeasterly breeze.
There wasn't a soul on or near the pier, it was a surreal scene with the waning cresent moon hanging over the pier...

The view from the beach was awesome...

And looking back toward the pier just before sunup and the lights turned off...

A GREAT sunrise over the Pavillion...

Walking back I saw a few ladyfish and mullet near the shoreline.
About 50 yards from the beach a 4 or 5 foot shark blew up on a school of mullet :eek:
It was really cool, but happened so quickly I couldn't get a shot.

I spent the rest of the morning trying to occupy myself (and not think about getting out there on the pier too much :rolleyes:
So I took a drive to Alabama Point and looked around a bit...

Then stopped to castnet some bait on my way back.

Our plan was to go to the pier for the opening, then do lunch and I would fish the afternoon.
We got to the pier at 10 till 11 and I realized my camera was still at the house :redface:
We got back just after the gates opened and went up the gangway...

Right away I started seeing some familiar faces (John Gaines & Whitzell Wood) and a few others farther up the line waiting to get on...

I caught up with some old friends on the pier too (Cher & Otis say HI!

If nothing else the view is breathtaking the first time you walk through the 2nd platform...

Lou Villanova caught the first fish we saw landed (a sennet)...

Some of the 20-25 anglers on the end were already pulling up some flounder when we got out there...

Saw this guy catch a nice flattie...

And didn't realize right away it was "Cotton" (a guy I had traded emails with for years)...

It was great to finally meet him and his (now famous) son Nate face-to-face...

We hung around the end for a bit and I got to thank Trey Meyers (Asst. GSPark Dir) for all their hard work and a job well done...

Not long after we saw the first king mackerel get hooked up...

And landed... :D

A real nice king...

Walking back I spied a familiar shape... (a 28"-30" speckled trout)

I knew I'd be back!
Thank You Lord, we got our pier back :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Monday July 20 Day1: pm

After a shower, lunch and a nap I got back to the pier about 3pm.

I visited with some old friends and checked out the inshore possibilities.
The words "target rich environment" came to mind as I saw plenty of flounder being caught in addition to seeing a school of speckled trout
and several schools of black drum with a few redfish mixed in.

I started with a jig and soon connected on a slot redfish that was followed by a black drum one of the nearby kids pulled in on dead shrimp.

Their dad said it was the boys first experience fishing in saltwater.
They were having a blast with the drum, so I gave them the redfish.

A little while later I connected with a nearly identical 18 1/2" redfish

Over the next few hours I caught 5 slot reds (C&R on two), several black drum, two flounder and a 16" speck (given away).
Not to mention several reds that came unhooked and a couple of breakoffs on the 6# mono.

Here's my "Money Shot" ;)

I tried on the end (a couple of hours) for kings but the frozen LYs (Scaled Sardines) I had never even got a sniff from the mackerel or bluefish I saw caught :scratch:

But I knew the next day would bring more opportunities ... :fishing:
Thank You Lord!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts