Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bought a Profile Lure blank directly from Zziplex and wonder if anyone has any recommendations what guides to use? Don't know whether it's worth it to spend a fortune on titanium sic-guides or if others will do the same job. I will only use the rod for tournament plug casting (multi 18g) so it will never come close to the sea...

So, which guides are the best and where can I find them? Also would like to know how many guides to use...

Thanks in advance!

Fredrik (from Sweden)

·
Registered
277 Posts
for just casting[tourn.] use fuji hardaloy guides. they are reasonable and last for a long time. the number of guides and size depend on conventional or spinning.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
I own the standard profile, and would suggest (as a starting point) 8 guides, using size 10 (4 of them ) as the smallest guides out near the tip, and working you way up thru the sizes as you progress towards the handle.

I like fuji alconites (bmnag) for tournament rods, the inserts are lighter than sic inserts, and will give you slightly better performance for tourny casting. No need for titanium guides, which are nice and light, but mainly used for saltwater corrosion protection.

A slightly nicer alternative , (if your set on sic)is the ICMNSG guide set from Fuiji-- I have put these on casting rods and they are a slightly lighter frame than the bmnag guides - rated for medium to hvy use- and would be good for your application.

I would think you could also check with Zziplex (Terry Carroll) to get the recommended guide size and spacing for that blank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts