Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was starting to layout my guides last night and did the initial "eyeballed layout. I then mounted my reel and ran line through and tied it to a stationary object. I was able to adjust the guides and get the line parallel to the blank, but when I put a real bend in the rod, the tip area began to torque pretty bad.

What I was wondering was whether or not an acid wrap would be beneficial. Is it that much more difficult to wrap? This is my first rod so it may be too ambitious, but if the placement of the guides is the only real difference I think I can work it out. I found a great guide to go by from acidrod and it has a degree wheel with three different wraps laid out. I figured it might be beneficial for a rod that had a tendency to torque back when I was fishing with it.

I haven't glued the tip on yet so I can do it either way. I could definitely use some advice from some of you rod gurus. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Find the straightest axis on the blank, and build on that. You're going to have the tendency to roll over whether you spine it or not. It's basic physics. You can get into the whole spining or no spining debate, but that's been beat to death and you can find hours of reading on it. I find the straightest axis and get on with it. To each their own.

Acid wrapping is easy, just flip the guides after the stripper 180 degrees. You can use a transition guide, but it's not required.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I have splined the blank in order to make sure the reel seat was properly place before I installed it.

I'm going to go for the acid wrap, if for no other reason because it's different. I've already got them laid out, just need to tape them in place and do a static test.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.