Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some of the things I should know before putting braided line on spinning reels?

Which brand, color, weight/diameter?

Does braided line absord water?

Thanks for any info you pass my way.

:)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
i'd get power pro or one of the other new lines that stays round and doesn't flatten out over time

·
Registered
720 Posts
Remember to use mono backing on your spool or it may spin freely. You might want to spool it fairly tight since braided line will dig into itself. I've only used it for freshwater and it cast a lot further than mono and has no memory. Only bad thing is knots are almost impossible to undo.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
--You can also use Dacron for backing. It cuts down on the amount of the expensive line you have to use as running line.

--Tie off to terminal tackle with a Palomar knot. Other knots have a tendency to slip.

--Resist the temptation to use really heavy line. Because the stuff is so thin for its pound test, people end up putting 50 or even 80-pound line onto their plugging reels, then crank the drag down. You'll end up stripping your gears. Stick with 20-pound test on your jigging rods, maybe 30 for your bigger sticks and you'll get super sensitivity when jigging, solid hooksets, and more distance out of your casts.

I love the stuff. Some hate it. Just be careful of using it on piers because it can cut through regular mono.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lets say that for a reel that will hold 300 yds. of 20# Mono., how much backing are we talking about? How much braided are we putting on?

What kind of Dacron are you folks using?

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sand Flea don't you use Tica reels?

Do you have a opinion on the Tica Dolphin SE 10000?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
i've got a large tica spinner at home i use on my king anchor rod but I can't remember the model i but i like it, very smooth. I'll let you know what it is when i get home in a bout a week

·
Registered
51 Posts
Load on 150 yards of 20lb mono then you should still be able to get on 200+ yards of 20 lb power pro. 20lb power pro is about the same dia as 4lb mono.
I prefer the high vis yellow as green is almost impossible to see in low light.

What does everone use for shocker on power pro.?

A peice of 80lb power pro or a mono shocker ?

·
Registered
720 Posts
What is the typical # braided line do most of you use for surf fishing? I've seen 20-30# braided in the stores and they're really thin. I'm afraid the line might cut me or be easily damaged due to the small diameter. I opted for the 50# braid which is equivalent to 12# mono.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Orest: I don't use Tica reels. I have an 11' Tica rod, though. I like it. In fact, Salty threw it over Thanksgiving weekend and loved it so much he's buying one.

Wrong Way: You're right. They're very, very thin. It's good because they cut through wind and water well and are very abrasion resistant. Don't worry about it breaking or getting torn up; 20-pound mono will fail before braid. But you're right about it cutting. If you're throwing anything more than jigs you need to use a finger guard.

I was tossing 30-pound Power Pro on my Tica at Assateague a month or two ago and sliced the bejesus out of my finger. Stupid, stupid move on my part.

I really don't recommend it for heavier applications but it's great for throwing lures. Anything heavier and I think you're better with mono.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Sand Flea, do you use a shock leader if you're throwing lures with braided line? Like something in the range of 2-3oz lures.

·
Registered
472 Posts
So tell Me again. obviously I'm a little"slow"

Braid will:

Cut My Fingers

Cut My Rod Guides

Cut Other Peoples Lines

Cut the Bail on My Reel

Slip on the Reel Spool

Dig into Itself on the Spool

Needs to have Backing Tied on One End

And a Shock Leader Tied on the Other End

Knots Won't Hold

Is Very Hard to See

Forms "Wind" Knots that Tear Off Rod Guides when Casting

Is Very Expensive

Casts a Long Way

I Count 12 Negative and 1 Posative Feature

What's All the Debate About ????

If You're into Distance Casting, then Maybe You need this stuff.

But for Fishing, in the Real World ???

Give Me a Break !!!

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Smoothbore54 said:
So tell Me again. obviously I'm a little"slow"

Braid will:

Cut My Fingers

Cut My Rod Guides

Cut Other Peoples Lines

Cut the Bail on My Reel

Slip on the Reel Spool

Dig into Itself on the Spool

Needs to have Backing Tied on One End

And a Shock Leader Tied on the Other End

Knots Won't Hold

Is Very Hard to See

Forms "Wind" Knots that Tear Off Rod Guides when Casting

Is Very Expensive

Casts a Long Way

I Count 12 Negative and 1 Posative Feature

What's All the Debate About ????

If You're into Distance Casting, then Maybe You need this stuff.

But for Fishing, in the Real World ???

Give Me a Break !!!
I've got a fiend in FLA that guides for bonefish,tarpon,and permit. He uses fireline on every spinner he has. He has caught more grand slams than anyone down there. Been out with him at least 5 times in the last 10 or so yr,never seen the line dig in,never seen the line slip on the spool.He uses the stuff for at least one season sometimes into the second(more than makes up for the cost;) ).Never seen one of his knots or mine slip on a fish.He uses same reels over and over he's never mentioned that his bails got cut off of them,and he nor I have had a guide problem,we both use good guides... OBTW,many of the guides use it speckeled trout,and spainish fishing down here as well..
From my own experience it gives great hooksets for lure fishing of any kind. The rest of the above holds true for me also.Windknots are no more a problem than when I use mono,but I do pack the spool tight,and I don't fill it to the top. I fish about every weekend,and have had great success with the line,when I catch fish.. :rolleyes: :D
Now for the negetives: He uses mono for his tarpon rods. I use mono on all my conventionals that I am baitfishing with. Because the stuff will backlash more than mono,and not very forgiving if it backlashes because it has no streach. The stuff is very hard to see,so I don't use it at night. If you fill the spool to the top,and pack it on there loosely,it will windknot,no doubt..;) As far as casting distance,in my experience,I'd say it doesn't cast quite as far as mono,but you would have to ask a distance caster about that..I don't bottom fish with the stuff because in a heavy current it has little streach,and has a tendency to get pulled by the waves and cause the sinker not to hold as well.
Not arguing with you Smoothbore,I'm just pointing out that in "for fishing in the real world" there is a time and place for the stuff. I am happy that you are happy with mono,to each his own. For me though,in some applications and fishing situations,I'll never go back to mono... ;)

·
Registered
194 Posts
I totaly agree with Drumdum; braided doesn't stretch but it's very strong. As for casting it... Im a big distance caster, I love throwin my heaver but as for throwing braided I'll stick to my mono..My 2 Cents

Fred

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
The great debate will never end.

Some say one thing some say another, I say give me Power Pro or Fireline anytime.

Believe it if you want to, but I use 10 pound, yes 10lb on my 11ft spinner when throwing 4 ozs. I have not had it break during a cast, I have not had a problem with Knots. I don't use shock leaders, but I do tape my finger for casting. I cast 30yds. farther with this line, after all it has diameter of 4lb.

I fish on Daiwa's Surf fishing team in the four major team tournaments in NC each year. I believe at least some of our success has come from braids.

Super Sensitive
Super Thin
Super Line.
JMHO

·
Registered
720 Posts
Wilber said:
The great debate will never end.

Some say one thing some say another, I say give me Power Pro or Fireline anytime.

Believe it if you want to, but I use 10 pound, yes 10lb on my 11ft spinner when throwing 4 ozs. I have not had it break during a cast, I have not had a problem with Knots. I don't use shock leaders, but I do tape my finger for casting. I cast 30yds. farther with this line, after all it has diameter of 4lb.
It maybe just me but isn't this unsafe?? How would you load up on your rod and use all it's potential energy if it may break around 10+ lbs of force? That's like using my freshwater gear and trying to cast 4ozs. Braided is strong and might be slightly underrated but no shock leader?? I have break off trying to cast 2-3oz with 15-17# mono. I always use a shock leader now.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Spinner not Conventional. Nice smooth cast, steady load. It's safe.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts