Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok would someone pls help me with this? I am pretty sure i know what is going on with the tides.

I selected cape henry, nov 2003, 14th, and 2 days this is what i got:
Day High Tide Height Sunrise Moon Time % Moon
/Low Time Feet Sunset Visible

F 14 Low 4:33 AM 0.4 6:41 AM Set 11:40 AM 79
14 High 11:22 AM 3.0 4:56 PM Rise 9:11 PM
14 Low 5:33 PM 0.5
14 High 11:51 PM 2.4

Sa 15 Low 5:23 AM 0.5 6:42 AM Set 12:22 PM 71
15 High 12:07 PM 2.9 4:55 PM Rise 10:13 PM
15 Low 6:27 PM 0.5

this is from http://www.saltwatertides.com/dynamic.dir/virginiasites.html
so I am pretty sure i can read this correctly. fri at 1151 pm (night) is high tide right?

if that is correct then how come every where i went it was low tide, and I mean loooow I was at monroe from 1030p to 1 am. And I am pretty dam sure that is was loooow tide.

Anyone have any idea as to what is going on? Am I reading it wrong or something?

thanks

shore

·
Registered
206 Posts
wow sorry i can't help u. i use a little card places give out to figure what the tide is. and from that u can figure what the tide is at another places
sorry no help here

dan lee

fish til it hurts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was wondering, what is going on, last year that thing was dead on . but this year so far, it seems to opposite, and it is about to the point that that is what i am gonna go off of. exactly opposite of wht it says...lol

shore

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Tides are affected by the Moon and Weather conditions. This week on the York I feel the tides have been a half an hour early on the low and never reached a full high. Also the position of the moon and earth will affect the range of the tide. NOAA has a good explanation of the tides.
Actually low might have even been lower than you have seen. Last evening I was walking on bottom I don't normally see.

Learning Tides is probably the most important tool for a saltwater shorebased fisherman.

·
Registered
691 Posts
tides are running LOW.....

Exactly as Digger suggested, the tides are running 1-3ft. below normal due to the current moonphase we are in. At Salt Pond's yesterday near high tide, the runway to the boat was down really far. I saw parts of the dock I've never seen before. And, on the return trip, the water was the lowest I've ever seen in SP Inlet. Additionally, the W winds have been pushing water out of the Bay, and making it tougher to return to full flood. We should approach something of a normal tide routine next week. The fish didn't seem to mind though!! Fish On

Zigh
><((((*>

:D

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok ya'll say so

lol..not sure tho, it feels like the site has been opposite of the actual tides tho.. oh well, will see how it goes today, not sure I'm gonna make it tonight fishin, might take my son to see the monster trucks in hampton . he loves them trucks, i just wish the arena was bigger, used to watching them in the georgia dome..lol

shore

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
which one is more critical?

air or water temperature? I can understad how gigh pressure is bad, but just curious as to which one is more critical?

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Water temp and wind direction are very important. Air temp the fish don't feel.
Falling pressure is a good thing as far as fall fishing(signals the fish to get ready).
Now on High pressure I disagree that it in it's self is bad. High pressure typical has clear skies, there fore it is bright out. Stripers like it dark. I have had a new moon and high pressure and done quiet well. Also right before the moon rise or after it sets things can be good.
Yes lots of factors and more not yet concidered.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Tides were real low here in MD too. Like Zigh said at least 3ft below normal low. One factor we are seeing here is from the strong wind we just had pushing a lot of the water out in the bay from the tributaries. It is so bad that it only looks like there are TWO tides during the whole day rather than 4! It seems to have skunked the fishing around here and I hope it returns to normal soon.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Im notta

tidologist ; but usually when i fish the upper creeks smoetimes ya get extra low tides n then other ya get extra high tides ; its a word for it ;:( then your normals ; but usually when its exta high these fish are up in the dern grasses n the fishn is excellent but when its extra low they slow ta bite myo2 cent :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts