Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought that I would start a new thread just because the other one is getting to long. It seems that the tog fishing in DE is starting to heat up so it should be a good outing for us. I wanted to verify a few things so everyone will have what they need. Since there are 10 of us, it'll break down to $60 per person not including tip. General tip for the first mate is 15%. I would advise bringing extra money for tip, pool, and in the case that someone doesn't make it. It seems that everyone is pumped up about it so I think that we don't need to worry about that. I would suggest bringing a boat rod with an conventional reel loaded with 30lb line. You will also need to bring plenty of hooks and at least 8oz sinkers, I prefer bank sinkers. I will be bringing 3/0 hooks so hooks around that size would be good to bring. Feel free to bring what ever lures and bait you want to bring. Also bring a large cooler to put fish in, but not on the boat. Just leave your cooler in the car. Since there will be ten of us on a 37 ft boat, space will be limited. Just bear that in mind when you pack for the trip. Also BRING SEASICKNESS PILLS if you have a weak stomach like me. Last thing you need is to be sick for 8 hours while everyone around you is catching fish. I will also be bringing kitchen shears since they come in handy when cutting green crabs. We will be mainly be fishing for tog and the limit for tog is 10 per person at 14 inches. A lot of people recommend throwing back the large females, but if it's your first large tog, go ahead and keep it since large tog are hard to come by. If we are catching a lot of large females, I would recommend throwing back a few but feel free to do what you want. For a few of you, it will be your first tog trip so enjoy yourselves. I talked to the captain and if we limit out on tog we can fish for rockfish, but catching 10 limits of tog may be really hard to do. We can bring small coolers for food and drink. It seems that everyone wants to do a $20 per person pool so if anyone has a problem with that let us know so we can change it. I think that is everything so if you have any questions let me know. Their website is http://www.beach-net.com/grizzly/index.html
I will PM everyone my cell number since me and Jason will probably head down early to see how the fishing is in that area.
-Anthony

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Hey Anthony,

What time will the Grizzly leave the dock? We need to know what time to get there. Do we want to meet someplace for some breakfast first? I'll buy Jason some greasy porkcops and grits.

Also everyone needs to confirm they will be there in this thread. Don't want anyone to be short on funds because someone drops out now...Tightlines

I will be there!:)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're right Hat, my bad. The charter is scheduled to leave at 6:00am. It will be an 8 hour charter. The captain suggest arriving 1/2 hour early. We can meet for breakfast if you want to. I will check if there are any diners around that will be open early.
-Anthony

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I am still in! As Anthony said we will be in the area that whole weekend. Hey Anthony what kind of bait does the capt offer on the boat? Is it free from him? Just wondering b/c talked to Hat and we want to make sure we bring a good variety of bait with us. $20 a head for the pool sounds good to me. The breakfast thing sounds good also.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I can tell the boat provides green crabs and possibly sand fleas if they are still around.
-Anthony

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
I'll be there...

Forget the $20 pool money from me....little steep as I have not fished for tog in lot's of years...

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Hey guys,

I'll be there
Sounds like we'll need to grab the crab by his ankles and shake it out of him. Just remember crab, and I've seen it over and over again. The guy that dosn't get in the pool always catchs the bigest fish.:rolleyes: I'm in for $20....Tightlines

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Is the pool going to be straight forward with the heaviest tog taking all the loot? With everyone putting their fish in the boat box they'll have to be weighed and recorded ahead of time. This will also be true if anyone releases any large females. I'll bring my digital scale just in case. If we're lucky enough to limit out on tog and start fishing for something else will we just start another pool? I think this is something we should get straighted out now and not wait until everyone is on board. Since this is your baby Anthony, you should be the one to set the rules.

Catman.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
It should also

be all the loot for the heaviest fish. This splitting up the cash prize crap is for the birds. :mad:....Tightlines

catman, I'll get those pics up tonight.

Jason, Greasy Porkchops! :barf:

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Hat...Heaviest fish sounds right. I hate those Mickey Mouse pools also. Reminds me of playing poker with women, too many things wild.

Jason...Hat is right about the greasy porkchops, easy down - easy up.:barf: Hint, bring soda crackers.:D

Catman.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
LOL You guys are funny. :p I don't plan on going and wasting my money trust me. Now I think it should only be for the heaviest tog since that is what the trip we mostly be about. I also have a digital scale just like yours catman. We can have the mate weigh them when we catch them that way none of us has to stop fishing to help weigh. All we have to do is bring a piece of paper to write everyones heaviest fish on. Now if we limit out on tog then I think it will be up to who wants to start another pool between us folks that want in on it. Don't worry Anthony this is just my opinion, it is all up to you bud.:D

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heaviest tog sounds fine to me. If for some reason we start to fish for other species, we'll decide what to do then.
-Anthony

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I'm in for a second pool

but I still don't want to see any of that 75% to the heaviest pink fish with one green eye and 25% to a pepermint shrimp. One lump sum feels like you won something, not second place for the booby prize.:eek:...Tightlines

We still need guys to check in so we are not in the dark here.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Im In

I wouldn't miss this trip for anything. Count me in for the pool also. I like the idea of meeting up for breakfast somewhere if something is open. Hey Hat, How are we gonna do this? You drive and ill help with the petro. Also, Ill take care of your breakfast. Now we need to decide where we are gona meet..........Tight Lines

MC

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey MC,
Is your pop's in? I haven't heard from him lately. Mr. Ralph Jr, you in? We have confirmation from Hat, FL, Sandcrab, Catman, me, and Master Caster. We still haven't heard from Jake and his buddy Ed, Duke of Fluke, and Mr Ralph Jr. Also we need to pressure Sandcrab into joining the pool. I'd hate for him to catch the largest fish and lose out on a nice pool ;) . I will check around to see what places are open for breakfast.
-Anthony

·
Registered
565 Posts
Dontcha worry now, the DOF will be representin' fer sure! I already ordered some tackle for the trip. At $20 a head it will take the whole pot to one fish to be any sort of worth while prize. Sandcrab, you don't know how many times I've seen the one guy on the boat who didn't ante up caatch the big one! This is fishing, and there is a certain amount of luck involved. Anyone can catch the winner. And no, I'm not encouraging you just so I can take yer money;) I ordered a hundered pack of size four virginias...The classic! Also have some gammies in assorted sizes. I am sure the skipper has plenty of tackle aboard. I don't want to buy lead in advance if I don't have to. I'll be mad if I spend a bunch of money on eights, tens, and bigger if I can possibly get away with 5-6oz. Those larger leads are expensive...or I am cheap. I have to buy a new pair of kitchen shears too. I lost mine since I did not do any serious toggin last season. They work a whole lot better than knives, cleaner cuts with less mess. Snip snip! :cool:

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
OK...

I'm in for the pool...just hand over your money to me! ;)

PS - Getting a bunch of lures ready too...

...And the SECRET weapon...

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
:jawdrop: Uh oh looks like everyone is bringing their secret weapon. Looks like I have to bring mine!:D

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
You guys can bring all

the secret weapons you want. It won't do any of you any good. After you see my secret weapon you'll understand. All I can say is you better hand over the money and then get the hell out of the way when I pull the trigger on this puppy.:eek:...Tightlines

******Hat80's custom no miss Tog'in rod******

1 - 20 of 51 Posts