Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Duke of Fluke...Any additional info on the trip? Got my check book ready!

Catman.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Sorry guys.

The trip IS ON. I just have to call and make sure that date is still available. If not, I will find another vessel in the same area. I have been really busy organizing a couple of other trips.

The most recent trip was Saturday. Seven guys caught limits of Seabass with the smallest going 3 lbs and several six pounders being caught. We only fished two hours. I'll post pics soon. We also caught a few mackerel and a lone cod.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Duke..Sounds like you guys had a good time. Were you fishing deep water or inshore? When seabass hit the 5# mark you've got some quality fish.

Catman.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Diamond jigs? Any of the guys using electrics? 250 - 300 feet is one hell of a pull.

Catman.

·
Registered
565 Posts
We were hand cranking. The captain was using a mackerel colored slab on the bottom. I was just using a bank sinker. The fish were eating the mackerel tubes.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Duke, I have to withdraw from the trip. I have just been informed that I'm orders for Korea and need to report 20 May. This really sucks no fishing and no Green Ridge on Opening day of hunting season. Put I may be home on leave during hunting season so keep me in mind. I'll let ya know

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Axon, that really sucks. I spent 13 months in Korea in a little town called Kimpo back in the early 60's and TDY'd to Nam a couple of times while there. I fished while in Korea in the Ham River. They have a fish there that looks like a carp but has teeth like a pike and fights like a freight train. Don't remember the name but the locals ate all that I caught. Perhaps we can get together for some croaker fishing before you shove off.

Catman.

·
Registered
565 Posts
That's too bad Axon. If you come back during hunting season give me a shout. I have a gang of guys who will probably camp at Green Ridge, I will also have a brand new lease in WV complete with food plots.

For those of you still interested in the trip, I will be finalizing everything tonite. If the Grizzly is booked for the day we chose, I will find another boat. It will be easier to pick a different boat than try to find another date that works for everyone.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I was there in 93 for the whole year at Camp Casey near tongdechog (sp?). It wasn't to bad but did not do any fishing. I remember hearing something about there being Fishing rod manufactures over there being pretty good, anyone know anything about this?

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Duke I too am going to have to pull out. I will be deploying to Ft. Dix May 5th in lieu of current situation. I know it is not far but I do not make my schedule while I am there so I have no guarantees.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Yeah I have fished at point pleseant once I think?? I caught a couple small flounder and what some guy was calling a sheet rock??? Big headed ugly red toad looking fish. Like I said I don't make my schedule the ARMY does. Last time I was there from May till Sep and I had about 13 days off not including the 4th of July. So we will see. I will let you know when I get there.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Fl Fisherman!

Take some bass gear along. Ft Dix has a private pond that has a great largemouth population. We have a few SSA personnel deployed there, and I think most folks are on 12 hour shifts, but it will be worth the effort if you get to the pond, even for a couple of hours. May is nesting time in NJ....

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Axon!

Was looking forward to fishing with you and Fl Fisherman... but we all understand. Hey, if you happen to bump into a cute 16-17 year old female over there looking for U.S. citizenship, let me know. If you do hook up with catman for croaker, I'd like to tag along. I just want one, but it has to weigh over 4 pounds....

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Jamey!

Ed and I are still on for the trip. Maybe it will turn into an evening drum/striper trip after all! Let us know who and what you book....

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
MJ he was definitely calling it a sheet rock but it was definitely a sea robin from that pic. The first few I caught I didn't touch until I saw someone just grab it and rip it off his hook. I was catching them in the 5- 6 lb range. Last year I brought my bass poles with me and fished a few of those ponds. Fishing was pretty good. Even fished a river(can't remember the name)that ran through the town right off post and caught a 5 lb muskie on a worm :eek: So trust me if I get the chance I will be fishing. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts