Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Are you talking as in rod building? Or do you mean something you add over an existing handle for added stickiness or grip?

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
1" 3M Safety tape is what a lot of folks use, and that's what's on the Loomis factory built surf sticks. You can also use cork tape from any rod building supply store. I prefer x-flocked shrink wrap myself.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
X-flock shrink wrap. Just put some on the butt section of my OM Cape Point. It is light and provides a great grip.

Evan

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I appreciate the 411 on the sports grip tape fellas. I've been looking for something to make my fighting rod fit my salty rod holder better. The sports grips tape might be the ticket.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Get some grip liner from home depot. It's used to cover drawer bottoms. It is non-adhesive and stands up to water and is CHEAP, and it feels good and will build the handle to any size you want, don't thank me thank Toejam.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Vet wrap... what they use to wrap horses ankles... light breathable sticks to itself and leaves no residue... and comes in a multitude of colors...

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I appreciate the 411 on the sports grip tape fellas. I've been looking for something to make my fighting rod fit my salty rod holder better. The sports grips tape might be the ticket.
OOOOH!!!

I had the exact same problem you do. The fore grip on my king rods was smaller than the holder, and the whole setup would fall over sideways.

Forget sports wrap or any shrink tubing. Those are great for most stuff, but this is a pretty simple fix.

Electrical tape works great, just wind it around the grip about an inch past either side of where the holder clamps on.

The other thing you can try (if you can find someone to do it for you) is to have the "teeth" of the holder dipped in rubber, like they do with tools. This will decrease the inner diameter just enough to snug the grip on the rod. Have seen this lots on the pier.

Evan

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
OOOOH!!!

I had the exact same problem you do. The fore grip on my king rods was smaller than the holder, and the whole setup would fall over sideways.

Forget sports wrap or any shrink tubing. Those are great for most stuff, but this is a pretty simple fix.

Electrical tape works great, just wind it around the grip about an inch past either side of where the holder clamps on.

The other thing you can try (if you can find someone to do it for you) is to have the "teeth" of the holder dipped in rubber, like they do with tools. This will decrease the inner diameter just enough to snug the grip on the rod. Have seen this lots on the pier.

Evan
You can actually buy that rubber compound to dip your tools in at various hardware stores. I've used it on pliers handles and such. There is also stuff to coat dishwasher racks in case they get a scratch to prevent the internal metal from rusting. That would work as well to dip the rod holder in to keep a king rod upright.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Wouldn't do electric tape. Reason being it shifts and everything gets sticky as hell from the adhesive. It's honestly not very durable either. You can get the x-floxk srhink wrap or even regular shrink wrap for cheap and it's easy to apply. You can also try some of the tapes mentioned, but I'm not a fan of those at all.

·
Registered
964 Posts
If you are looking for a thicker grip that looks nice - try any sporting goods store and get a couple leather grips for baseball bats. There are about 3/4" wide and one roll is sufficient for one bat handle (about 15-17"). Two rolls should be plenty.

Would be a nice grip and look nice as well.

Was planning on doing this with a Cape Point but decided to go with a different rod all together.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Just out of curiosity for those of you who have used the tape, how well does it hold up to the saltwater and surf conditions? The butts of my rods are frequently in the saltwater, especially fishing at the Point. Will that stuff hold up as well as something meant for roduilding?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
never used the vet wrap in saltwater... I use it to camo my predator rifle and tripod shooting stand... it's out in all kinds of weather from bluebird to monsoons... it has never loosened from getting wet although I pull it off the rifle when it gets wet to avoid rust, then replace it... what I use on the tripod never gets replaced except after the snow flies I go to a white wrap... from what I've seen of it, it should work well...

the plus side of it, is it's cheap enough if it doesn't work, you'll not be calling me all kinds of nasties... :D

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Call me old school, but I still prefer the feel of a good cork tape, installed properly. My hands sweat profusely when I'm fishing and the cork tape is still the grippiest (well, except the 3M tread tape, but that stuff is rough!). The biggest drawback is that it doesn't last forever so it'll have to be replaced from time to time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts