Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't posted in a bit so I thought I'd share another catch with you nice folks. This perfect table sized bass was caught late last night in the waters around Long Island. It inhaled a 6" blue storm wildeye. Technique was casting parallel to the bridge shadow line on the water. Work it in and out of the shadow line slowly enough to feel the "wiggle" of the paddle tail. Hope everyone is having a great time on the water.

Your yankee member from up north.

Vince

PS: If it makes a difference, I'm a Mets fan. :D

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Hey Addict,
How bout' them Mets. Ha Ha. Ya'll got one of our best pitchers and taught him how to loose.LOL. Oh, you guessed right, I'm a Braves fan. Yea ya'll are in the celler, but we are about to choke AGAIN, ding dang it.

Nice fish... I have also fished the "shadow line" we some luck. Great tip. Seems like the "fish the shadow trick" works really well in freash water. Ok in saltwater.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings addict!

That was one hungry striper! Was that caught from the shore or from a boat?

We need you northern guys to set-up a Hudson P&S Fish-In next Spring. Dead bodies don't count for the pool....

·
Registered
275 Posts
Just curious about where in LI you caught that fish. I started my striper fishing in the Harlem river near Yankee stadium before the METs existed. Have fished just about everywhere you can in LI.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
nice 1 addict , hey jake gotta watchm here in richmond too [ dead in the river ] shoot for thats on the dern street :eek:

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Nice fish! Looks like you will have the only 2 pics in the photo gallery for the fall!:D

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Jason!

What the hell happened to the pic of the 'tank double-headder? I'm starting to think Hat80 "accidentally" deleted it. I just wish you two could learn to get along....

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings inawe!

While working for Allied Chemical, I was temporarily assigned to the Chesterfield VA plant in 1980. When Spring came, I brought some of my tackle from home. I asked the locals about fishing, but they all had bassboats. So I got the map out and started looking around for spots to fish.

The following Monday, some of the Chesterfield guys were in the break area talking about a tournament they fished at Kerr Resevoir. I told hem I had tried for smallmouths the day before, but could only get a couple of dinks. They asked me where I was fishing, and I told them the James River, up in Richmond under the RT 1 bridge.

Those farm boys looked at me funny, then one asked me what kind of gun I carried. I guess I got the same kind of look on my face, and told them I don't carry a gun. One fellow got up from the table, patted me on the back, and said it was nice knowing me. I didn't find out until two weeks later that someone from the plant had been killed in the same spot I was fishing, a couple of years before.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hello Addict,
Nice fish!
Kinda puts me in mind of a relative I live with, except instead of a tail protruding, there are five toes!
South of you,

Soapfish

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Nice one I guess all the stripers are down your way and the blues are by me I can't wait for my montauk trip in 3 weeks as it gets closer I'll be in touch.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cocoflea - fish are starting to show up here. Not the large yet, but it's on.

soap - lol - I got one of those too!

MJ - nice to hear from ya again. The fish was caught from a boat. But were were anchored only 100 feet or so from the shore. We were casting into the shadow line, so at least we weren't trolling an umbrella rig. ;)

FL FISHERMAN - The gallery is nice, but I would give up all the pics for a true trophy anyday.

landlocked - I live in the upperwest side - manhattan. The Harlem River is nothing like what you experienced in the 50's-60's (Pre-Mets era). I do on occassion still fish the East river and the Hudson river. But nothing beats fishing the Mecca. This particular fish was caught around the Fire Island Inlet area.

Well, have a great day to all and see yaz on the water!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm, anyone try this?

Here's a new twist to striper cuisine I tried tonight. Came out pretty good.

Grilled striped bass with grape tomatoe salsa and linguine

If anyone's interested, I'm post the recipe or send it in to Matt.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings addict!

Like I said before -- trolling is an ugly way to catch them, but it works soooo good! Trying to get catman to try some lightweight trolling from his boat (release sinkers, tubes, etc...) There has to be a happy medium between finding the big ones and catching them without dragging 3 lbs of terminal tackle in with them....

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Hey JAKE i always packing 357 on the hip dont ever carry a knife to a gun fight almost got robbed down there myself , til the fool came around the side of my truck with a knife in his hand he seen my piece and took off running , coulda dropped him but my concience just wouldnt let me do it :mad:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts