Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
I tried to get to Grandview beach on Saturday, but the whole island was off-limits to non-residents. The cop at the roadblock told me that the pier is gone and that it may be several weeks before the Grandview area opens up to the public again. Supposedly it's off-limits because there's "lots of construction work going on", but I'm not sure if I really buy that explanation. Obviously I don't know just how things look in there, but preventing people (usually less than a dozen at any given time) from enjoying the beach seems silly, especially this long after the hurricane.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
The Pier is SHOT

I live down the street and Grand View Island is a diaster area. Izzy took the pier and a large number of the houses on Lighthouse Drive. The storm surge threw gaint bolders from the bulk head up onto the street, trees are in the road and house crap is everywhere. These people are wipped out.
The Red Cross has set up ops at my buddys house, it's a damn mess down the there.
We feel very foruntate that we only got 18 inches of water in the house, which killed my down stairs wireing and floors and the walls and the firg and the hot water heater and the hot tub and the heater and the AC and on and on and on.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Bummer......

I'm sorry to hear about your loss man. That's no good. It's a shame about the pier and other homes as well. Good Luck with your clean-up and I hope it goes quickly for you.

Peace
Zigh
><((((*>

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Thanks Zigh

The heat and air guys are on it today (thank you lord) and should have me cooling quick. It will be months for the rest. We are hoping for at least a floor and wireing by Christmas, I really don't want the Christmas tree in my bed room.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Wilber ... glad to hear everyone ok despite structural damage .Same deal here in Poquoson.Houses with 2 to 4 ft.water inside.Totally wiped out. I live on Mt Poquoson so my damage was insignificant relative to others. Hope they rebuild the pier (and restaurant there.)gonna miss it.........the R

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Hey R

Good to hear from you and glad you are OK. The restaurant made it. They invited all the Rich folks from the new houses after the blow to come up and have dinner, the last of the food on hand. I guess they thought they would make a lot of new customers. Well it back fired, The folks across the street who were really wiped out were not invited and they took exception to the fact. They may have gained a few folks from the new houses, but they lost 10 times that many from the rest of Fox Hill. You can't play that game in a little place like The Hill.
I guess after things cool down we all will go back up there to eat, after all I like the Place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.