Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished the pier Sunday. Lots of bait in the water & plenty of fish feeding. I was throwing the heaver off the end for cobia while the others meat fished for a fish fry. 1 70-80# ray (cut him off at the end.....I hate it when they gaff 'em) A nice big blue caught on a live spot & Gami Circle, & lost a couple more when I was tossing a stingsilver for spanish, noticed the line slacking up, ran over and reeled up hard but brought in the previously live spot bitten in half (DOH). any way, we ended up with a mess of spot, croaker, weakfish, blues, black bass, 14 inch flounder:( , all in all, not a bad day.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
did th weakies have any size to-m cant wait til fall something is always happn at grandview thats a killer spot to go

·
Registered
30 Posts
i will probably go to grandview next weekend hopefully.hopefully the fish will cooperate(and the weather),want to catch something with some size to it,tired of spot,croaker,and especially skates!:p

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
with all this rain who knows but the fish are there to b caught :D

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The trout were just over the limit. Tell me about the rock fishing there. Any good? What time in the fall or winter? Seems like a good spot and the end of the pier is clean for throwing a bait way out, I like it.......a lot closer to Richmond than the OBX and if the rock will be there so will I. Do they close down for the winter? Inquiring minds want to know.........

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
JAMES RIVER

around 95 bridge , believe it or not if ya gotta boat your on :D all day long

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, yeah.....I know about the James in the spring. I'm fishing the 14th St Bridge in the mornin' before I go to the brewery to work in the spring season. I'm wondering how the fishing is at Grandview in the fall & winter.....Digger? Any thoughts to pass on?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
yeah usually any tidal river around , closest one ya can get too matter of fact , but a boat sure does help ;) west point , glouster , tappahannock , pamumkey , should i go on

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
I'll bump this in hopes Digger will see it.

i don't know when they close Buckroe pier in the fall/winter.
On this side of the water, Harrison stays open, but with limited hours, during rock season. Good number of fish get caught there too, all up and down the pier. Although, I still focus on the beach. I'd suppose that Buckroe would be good with a south component in the wind, and this side with a north component.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hi Fred.

I fished Grandview several times last fall for stripers. It was my first year trying for them in the Bay. So for one thing, everybody I saw fishing did better than me. I'll do better this year as long as the weather holds up.

I observed mixed results all around. Went there 3/4 times.

I think the early/warmer season is better at Grandview. My later trips there were less productive. Of course, the weather really crapped out last fall/winter too.

The actual fishing was pretty cool. Throwing mostly plastic at them in the lights. It was kinda funny toward the end of the year as my favorite OBX piers were closed and the Bay was still open.

Also check out the Lynnhaven head boats. They run night trips for like $25 each and fish the CBBT. Thats a good deal. You'll likely run into "Fishing Kid" on the First Chance.

I had a cool (er, cold too!) night on the Seagull pier fishing for Blues with Gotchas.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts