Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I picked up where Dixie left off.

Poor action with only keeper croakers hitting occasionaly.

I did meet Catfishmama and her mom on the pier. Man, I hope someone take ME fishing when I'm on oxygen and in a wheelchair. If you run into them say "hi".

We stayed until 12 or so hoping the trout would show under the lights. Nada.

One funny thing that happened. We were walking up and down the pier after dark looking for those trout. Saw one guy with his rod bent and cranking hard as I passed.

After visiting the end of the pier, I asked what was on the other end of the line. Some of the regulars next to the guy said he caught a 5 LB Rock.

I said something like cool, shame it was not 30 days later and legal.

The guys, with a bit of a smirk said, No, I mean he caught a rock as in a stone. Sure enough, there it was on the pier. It was indeed a rock. Not a pebble, not a stone, but a good ole solid rock! :rolleyes:

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
I tried Harrison's on Saturday night, but had the same results.

Very slow on the pier except for the end. Just bring your light and plug it in and the Spec's will appear. The Spec's just can't resist that light at the pier. Caught a few spec's from 8"- 12" and saw one 18" landed. Most that were landed were in the 8-14" range. All were caught off of Spec Jigs or tube jigs.

Saw one small shark caught on squid, other than that..nothing!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Type of Trout.....

I'm just wondering, are you sure they were Speckled Trout and not Grey Trout? 9 times out of 10, when I've seen and/or caught Trout under lights at or around a pier, they've been Grey's.. not doubting your observation, just wanna know if your sure what fish your talking about?! Grey's have markings similiar to spots, but Specks have a longer snoot and a more well defined 'SPOT' for their markings. This is also important because it determines which regulations you need to be observing as Specks must be larger than their cousins the Grey's.....Curious.......

Zigh
><((((*>

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Zigh,

Yeah, they were grey's. I guess sometimes I just get in the habit of calling them Spec's, when I'm using a Spec Jig. Catch and release for me only on those little guys anyway! Some people were pushing it only the size limit. They have always been out there everynight I go to Harrison's and usually start having a feeding freenzy around 10:30 -11pm if the water is somewhat calm. Trusty old standby if I'm getting skunked on everything else for the night.

Dixie

·
Registered
691 Posts
Right On

Thanx for the reply Dixie...... I love fishing those Trout in the fall when they're good and fat. There have been times at Grandview and Buckroe in years past, where you could've practically walked on them they were so thick...... Actually, they make great live Striper bait, too!!! Fish On

Zigh
><((((*>
:D

·
Registered
125 Posts
David,

Really glad I got to meet someone from the P&S board. Sorry to hear the fishing didn't turn around for you Saturday night. If the State Dept. of Health doesn't show up for our unannounced inspection this week, I'm going to try and take a long weekend and hit the piers again. Depends on the weather too. Can't have Mom out in the rain although she would go!

Hope we can fish together sometime and swap some stories. Take care.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts