Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FISHED GRANDVIEW THURSDAY FROM 830AM TIL 3PM. CAUGHT 5 SPANISH ON A SABIKI RIG. ALL BETWEEN 13 AND 15 INCHES. SMALL BUT A GOOD SIGN. FISHED TWO RIGS FOR COBIA NO TAKERS. GIVE IT ANOTHER WEEK.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NO THREADFINS. THATS WHAT I WAS TRYING TO CATCH FOR A LIVE BAIT. AS FAR AS THE BITERS. I HAVENT FISHED OUT THEIR AT NIGHT YET.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Won't the spanish take a gotcha at grandview?? the R

·
Registered
363 Posts
Yeah they will, we did well with them last year there. I do catch morre on my homemade staw-rig using the multi-colored straws. Oh yeah and
GOLD HOOKS

·
Registered
691 Posts
Gotcha's are the ticket for larger Spanish at Grandview. You may well catch a bunch of them with straw rigs, but the quality of the fish seems to increase with the size of the bait. I have had days where I can go fish for fish with the straw riggers, but usually I catch bigger fish. Additionally, you can locate roaming schools easier by casting about, as opposed to vertical jigging. Both methods are productive, but I prefer casting and working a lure. Ofcourse, there have been those days when the straw rigs produce and the Gotcha's won't.... I'll keep casting. :D
Catch 'em up......

Zigh

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Hey cobiaseeker&zigh....seems you guys fish grandview regularly so i'll ask you.Between grandview and buckroe ,which would you buy a seasons pass to??.They both give up pretty much the same species?I've actually caught more off the mech.pier at monroe,but no cobia.Any input would help.With the summer traffic I've just about given up goin anywhere southside!!! the R

·
Registered
304 Posts
The R

Don't give up on Cobia at Fort Monroe. Iv'e caught several by boat very near that pier. Seems that bigger fish like that area also.

DEAN #3

·
Registered
691 Posts
I would favor Grandview for many reasons, but the main one being the total area you can fish at Grandview vs. Buckroe. The pier is simply longer. While B-roe offers slightly deeper water, G-view allows you to fish more lights, a greater variance in bottom structure, and offers plenty of room for everyone even on busier days. The journey there also runs you by some decent castnetting and trapping grounds. Actually, now that I think about it, go ahead and get a pass for Buckroe ;) ....actually, go give both a good fishin' over and get a feel for what will give you the most fishing fulfillment.each one certainly has it's own flavor.

Zigh :D

·
Registered
363 Posts
I concur with Zigh. I am considering a season pass this year there myself. I have fished both and like Grandview by far for many reasons that have been over and over here before.

The folks that fish there regularly for the most part are a good bunch that will help in any way and offer good sound advice.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hay theRondel here is something to think about. On buckroe the season pass does not go into spring or fall striper season, does grandview? Also grandview does not have a T. Grandview catches more cobia, Via pups and over 90# but buckroe catches more keeper/ release citations.Sso what are you going to fish for and what days are you fishing? Both piers it is a toss up. Good luck on both piers, atleast both of those piers sell bait and gear try to spend time on seagull when spanish are runnig at 2AM on red and white gotchya's and all you have is red and green. Seeya on the planks.
Bigblock :cool:

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Good point Bigblock on the fall-spring season pass usage!!I appreciate all the input from everyone.How does grandview do with the blues,spanish and puppies??My take is that its not quite as good as Buckroe,but I may be wrong.I also hear folks are not quite as friendly at Buckroe.Last thing I want to do is ruin my day with some ashohl.Any thoughts?? the R

·
Registered
363 Posts
I wouldn't say unfriendly. Maybe a little stand-off-ish but not a$$holes like at some places I've been. A good rule of thumb anywhere is to just stand and watch for a bit before you jump right in among them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts