Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FISHED GRANDVIEW TODAY FROM 9AM TIL 130 PM. VERY WINDY AND DIRTY WATER. FISHED 2 COBIA RIGS OFF THE END. LIVE CROAKERS. NO RUNS. PLENTY OF BAIT IN THE WATER. LOTS OF BLUES AND SOME REALLY BIG SPANISH CRASHING BAIT BUT I COLDNT GET THEN TO HIT. THREW EVERYTHING FROM GOTCHAS TO STINGSILVERS IN A VARIETY OF COLORS. DID MANAGE A COUPLE OF DECENT SIZE GREY TROUT ON A BLUE/CLEAR SEA ASSASSIN WITH 1/4 OUNCE HEAD. STILL NOT A BAD DAY ON THE WATER.
ONE THING THAT REALLY TICKED ME OFF WAS ON THE LIGHTPOST AT THE END OF THE PIER. EVERYONE NAILS UP THE TAIL OF A COBIA THAT THEY HAVE CAUGHT. CANT SAY I BLAME THEM. ITS KINDA LIKE A BRAGGING BOARD WHICH IS FINE. THE PROBLEM I HAD WAS THE FACT THAT THEIR WAS ALSO THE TAIL OF A RED DRUM. THE LADY AT THE PIER HOUSE CONFIRMED THE CATCH. THE DRUM WAS CAUGHT SATURDAY ( 8/30) NIGHT MEASURING 47 INCHES AND WEIGHING IN AT 38LBS. THOSE GUYS COULD HAVE AT LEAST RECEIVED A RELEASE CITATION. SNAPPED A COUPLE PICS AND DO WHAT YOU SHOULD DO WITH ALL RED DRUM. RELEASE THEM.

·
Registered
239 Posts
That SUCKS. It is usually my favorite pier, but that just sucks. The owner is a solid dude, and I would imagine that he would NOT BE HAPPY. He could, in fact lose his licence if the game warden found out that his employee was participating in poaching. I cant stand that kind of #@$%#$%. Ive got a good mind to give him a call and let him know what happened. :jawdrop:

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm pretty disgusted too. I don't know who the managers,owners or whoever are but somebody needs to say something so it doesn't happen again.:mad: Take a dang picture and release to say the least!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
The owner is a she, I just found out. Maybe I thought her husband was the owner. Anyway, I sent her an e-mail and told her what the story was, as it was told here. She looks like a sweetheart in the pictrure, I hope she was'nt the one working. I guess there is only so much She can do when a bunch of morons run up with a half dead drum they've already gaffed. There should be a law that the pier should provide drop nets at the end (even though it's not really their fault).
You guys can e-mail her at the grandview pier website (granviewpier.com(??)). Get a good look at how nice she is under the 'meet the owner' title, before you go and send her a bunch of nasty e-mail. I don't think that it is really the fault of the owners that a#$ho$%s run down the pier w/dying drum. I would've called the fuzz in a new york second. I hope you guys give a little room for 'the rest of the story' before giving her nasty e-mails. I just don't know what to think
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
634 Posts
before everyone gets ready to draw blood...ya might want to find out the facts.. a piece of a fish tail and 2nd or 3rd hand fishing storys is not what i'd call facts....if someone can confirm this with proof then i'd say get out the guns.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
NO not at GRANDVIEW why th next time i go fishn there im a gon give m the money go fish then im gonna tell them :p

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
If I'm not mistaken

The nice lady in the picture is Renee Rielley and I believe she leases the pier as a consession to another group. She is a nice person but doesn't have much of a clue as to what goes on at the pier.
That said, if someone kills a big Red Drum there are ways to handle it other than calling the DMF. I think a simple shove off the end of the pier might be more fitting.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TO BE QUITE HONEST THIS MAY HAVE BEEN THE FIRST LARGE DRUM EVER CAUGHT OFF GRANDVIEW. THE LADY AT THE FRONT DESK DID HAVE THE CATCH RECORDED IN THIER RECORDS AS THEY DO WITH COBIA AN OTHER MORE NOTABLE CATCHES. THE EMPLOYEES AND THE OWNER ARE VERY NICE PEOPLE AND PROBABLY DIDNT REALIZE THERE WAS ANYTHING WRONG WITH THE KILL. THE CULPRITS ARE PROBABLY THE "CRITTER POLE" ANGLERS THAT FISH FOR SHARKS AND RAYS AT NIGHT. I WILL ALMOST GUARANTEE THAT WAS THE FIRST AND ONLY RED DRUM THEY WILL PROBABLY EVER LAND ANYWAY.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Maybe posting signs along the pier

as a reminder to anglers that it is illegal to gaff or keep large red drum would be in order. And possibly include the wording, "report all violations to the staff." This may cut down on the illegal activity. If all the anglers on the pier have that constant visual reminder then those who would normally take the risk may think twice.

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
251 Posts
KEEP IN MIND

One must keep in mind that a lot of people focus in on the minimum size regs. only. It may not have been in their knowledge that this species has a mim. and max. size limit. It is also the duty of the more experienced fishermen to educate the other anglers on the pier and in the surf of all fishing regulations and not just to point fingers and call names. If you see someone violating rules and regs and do not bring it up to their attention then you are just as guilty and the one keeping/killing the fish. If you tell them and they decide to keep it or kill it anyway then it's their risk and I mind my own business

·
Registered
35 Posts
RED DRUM

GRANDVIEW is the pier i call my second home. I was not there this pass weekend for the cobia blizts they had and the incident with the red drum on Sunday. What has me puzzled is that the people at the front desk have a BIG SIGN UP FRONT WITH ALL THE FISHING REGULATIONS. So someone dropped the ball. If the information was not on the regulation poster. Then the hand book given out by the DMF SHOULD BE KEPT AT HAND , incase another incident like this comes along. To the prior post that this is the first big red caught there i differ with them ive caugh big reds there before is just that im a sports fisherman and i do practice catch and release. Not to ramble on and on but the big cobia i caught there this year was supposed to be a catch and released is just that someone found it funny to gaff the cobe by the head and it was going to die anyways. So i took it to get my citation and i shared the fish with everyone on the pier. Please follow the rules and if you dont know ask someone. In GOD WE TRUST BUT WE SHOULD NEVER COUNT THE LOSS OR LOST. JAMES

·
Registered
830 Posts
This thread makes no sence. I live three hours away, but if I lived closer I would go to the pier and get some answers. I can't believe there is anyone skilled enought to catch and land a red that big that does not know the law or has so little regard as to put evidence for everyone to see.
Are you positive this is the tail from a Red? Are you sure it is not a Black Drum? Was there a spot on the tail? Lets find out the truth before we hang the person who did this. If it is a Red Drum then, ther has to be someway to find and fine the perp.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Jeeeesh....... settle down guys

It sounds very much like the person tending to the pier that day may not have known about the ( min ) ( max ) size a person is allowed to keep. Im VERY sure that the pier owner wouldn't want to cough up the fines imposed by such a violation.

SHIT happens. Somtimes it's just a simple forgetfull moment. Some times its malicious. This sounds more like ignorance.

So instead of calling up a POSSE, maybe just a kind reminder of the current regulations to the pier managment would be the way to go.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Yeah I don't think we should send the lynching mob in yet but rather use this as an example for further educating people on the pier. I like the idea of regulations being posted on the pier. Especially if it is an area where big fish get caught ie red drum.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Not here to lynch anybody except for maybe the moron who thought to keep a fish without being sure of the possession/size limit. It may not have been the fault of the pier owner or employee, however they have no business running or even working at a pier without knowing the size regulations. If it was recorded in the record book then whoever recorded it should have sense enough to know that any drum of that size that has been through a battle with a fisherman, hauled up the side of the pier and run down to the bait shop to be weighed and measured is very likely going to die! Common sense people! Wether the guy who caught it was aware of the regulations or not is a non issue. Anybody who fishes should be fully aware of ALL of the regulations, ESPECIALLY if they intend to keep their catch! Those books dont even take long to read! I take mine with me when I go out on the boat or pier. Lets not go on a rampage after the pier employess, even though it might not be a bad idea to let them know in a civil manner of this occurance. Lets try to use this as an example that we need to bear in mind regulations and try to keep others on the pier informed as well. Theres my dime and you can keep the change
Tight lines and popped riggers

·
Registered
862 Posts
First it is VMRC that does marine regulations in Virginia and the enforcement guys are MPOs Marine Police Officers.

Second, I agree shame on the people who kept/killed the fish and the pier employee who did not know the regulations. However, a simple reminder of the regulations should fix that.

The Pier Operator is not responsible for what people throw in their private coolers the same as a head boat where everybody uses their own coolers. The captain of the vessel is only responsible when the catch is held in common.

Red drum and black drum are pretty hardy fish. I know a guy who caught a large black drum several years ago. He covered it with a wet towel and ran in a few hours later. He had the fish weighed; tied a rope to the tail and threw it over at the dock so that he could return the "dead" fish to the bay the next day. When he went out in the morning the fish was trying to take his dock out to sea. Bottom line, try to revive a fish that you are going to release. Cut the hook off on a gut hooked fish, most have a 50:50 chance of passing the hook with no damage.

Tom

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have fished Grandview for the last four years. Although I could not confirm this story I can believe it happened. I have seen a lot of shady things happen at this pier especially at night. However I do believe a lot of it goes unnoticed by Mrs. Reilly. I'm not sure if he is still running it but she used to have a man named Richard (not sure of last name) manage the pier for her. She was having a hard time getting good help at the time. Even had employee's stealing from her. He was a very good guy and would never let something like that happen. I haven't been to the pier but once this summer due to my work schedule but I will have to pay it a visit to get updated and find out what is going on now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts