Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey this is my first post here.Im going to be in myrtle beach(grand strand area)the week of mar16-20.I was wondering if anyone knew what i should bring(equipment).What bait I should use and how i should use it.Oh yea the type of fish I will be catching would be good info as well.I have surf fished over the years.Mostly catch the fall blues on topsail island in nc.I have no experance fishing saltwater from pier or surf in march though.Some people i have talked to said i would be wasting trunk space by briging any fishing equipment this time of year.They said there is no fish to be caught.I dont beleave this to be true.Any info would be greatly appericated.If someone is gonna be in the same area we should get together and see what we can catch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PLEASE HELP:fishing:

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
pier
i belleive u can catch whiting, maybe bluefish along with the regular cold water fish(hsarks, skates, rays). 7 foot rod with a reel holding 200 yards of 12 poudn test line is all u need(freshwater reels will work too). use bottom rigs(probably the same oens u scaught bluefish before, but use smaller no. 2 hooks(long shank works best). use shimp or mullet as bait(found in all tackleshops). 2 oz sinkers work most of the time.

surf
9 or 10 foot rod is enough for the fairly light sc surf.
3- 4 oz sinkers will be just about right
2 hook bottom rigs(same thign for pier) will do
a sliding sinker rid(fish finder, similar to carolina rig) with a larger 4/0 hook with mullet for red drumthey can be around)
march isnt the best month but usually there are some fish around.
bluefish
whiting
shad(caught on sabiki rigs or gold hook jigging rigs)
dogfish sharks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not sure how up and up this is but you said you were gonna be in the grand strand area which makes me think you will be staying in the heart but not sure .........I had a family member staying in the area go down to the surf to fish and he was right away told he wasn't allowed to surf fish there.........blew his mind and needless to say had to go to a pier and fish....He said he would never stay in the area again............:confused:

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Anyone that straight-out says you are not allowed to surf fish on any given stretch of beach is full of it. The beach is state property, not private. No one has the right to restrict the beach access to any person except the state.

Evan

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Not sure how up and up this is but you said you were gonna be in the grand strand area which makes me think you will be staying in the heart but not sure .........I had a family member staying in the area go down to the surf to fish and he was right away told he wasn't allowed to surf fish there.........blew his mind and needless to say had to go to a pier and fish....He said he would never stay in the area again............:confused:
Yep. If he was staying at some condo or something then that might have had something to do with it, but you can fish pretty much wherever you want to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Sandcastle hotel is were ill be staying and there beach is private but as me being a guest i am allowed to fish there.I went a few years back stayed @ myrtle beach resort and the camping place(think it was pirates cove)wouldnt let me fish there beach.That sucked cause there was a channel full of fish that ran there as tide came in:{

·
Registered
149 Posts
The Sandcastle hotel is were ill be staying and there beach is private but as me being a guest i am allowed to fish there.I went a few years back stayed @ myrtle beach resort and the camping place(think it was pirates cove)wouldnt let me fish there beach.That sucked cause there was a channel full of fish that ran there as tide came in:{
never heard of such a thing. the beach itself does not belong to any resort or campgrounds! it is all public property. that is why all along the grandstrand they have public parking areas and public access to the beach. if it were "private" they could actually fence it off and not allow people on to their private beach. i camp at pirateland which is located very near myrtle beach resort and have been doing so for the past 8 years. i have never been told i can not fish there. as a matter of fact i have never even seen an emplyee of pirateland on the beach. why? because it is a public beach and thus patrolled by the horry county sheriff's department. i have fished from the surf there in the middle of july with people and swimmers packed all around. some people seem a little upset by this, but once again, it is a public beach. in the last few years though i have limited my fishing to before 9am and after 5pm. it is easier for me to fish, the fish seem to bite better, and i don't seem to upset anyone. a resort or hotel may attempt to tell you that you can't fish, but i do believe if you pressed the issue with them, you'd win.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea i just checked with the dnr they said the whole area is fishable.So.....with that being said me and my little 357 colt python will be surf fishing no matter what they say.Thank you all for your info.I hope there will be tight lines for every1!!!!!!!!Oh yea anyone got any leads on good reasonable places to eat.I am also taking the wife and kids any info will help since im on a tight budget

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
never heard of such a thing. the beach itself does not belong to any resort or campgrounds! it is all public property. that is why all along the grandstrand they have public parking areas and public access to the beach. if it were "private" they could actually fence it off and not allow people on to their private beach. i camp at pirateland which is located very near myrtle beach resort and have been doing so for the past 8 years. i have never been told i can not fish there. as a matter of fact i have never even seen an emplyee of pirateland on the beach. why? because it is a public beach and thus patrolled by the horry county sheriff's department. i have fished from the surf there in the middle of july with people and swimmers packed all around. some people seem a little upset by this, but once again, it is a public beach. in the last few years though i have limited my fishing to before 9am and after 5pm. it is easier for me to fish, the fish seem to bite better, and i don't seem to upset anyone. a resort or hotel may attempt to tell you that you can't fish, but i do believe if you pressed the issue with them, you'd win.

Mark, before Hurricane Hugo, it was ILLEGAL to be doing ANYTHING on 200 feet either side of that channel between Pirateland and Lakewood BESIDES fish! Alas, those were the good ole' days. :) There were huge yellow signs posted indicating that, and the police would patrol the beach and issue citations to swimmers/boarders and ask you if anyone had been bothering you while you fished (unless the undertow was really bad and folks would get taken down there). After Hugo, they built that seawall down there and brought all that sand in. We used to drive golf carts down right at the high-tide mark.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
yea i just checked with the dnr they said the whole area is fishable.So.....with that being said me and my little 357 colt python will be surf fishing no matter what they say.Thank you all for your info.I hope there will be tight lines for every1!!!!!!!!Oh yea anyone got any leads on good reasonable places to eat.I am also taking the wife and kids any info will help since im on a tight budget
I don't know about reasonable as I usually go a little crazy while on vacation, but my favorite places down there are PF Changs (expensive Chinese) in the new mall down there and the place in restaurant row with the lighthouse in front of it, next to the Giant Crab (it's the restaurant on the left, $20 buffet of seafood, but they have good dishes out, dolphin, grouper, tons of soups, salads, crab legs, ect).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Also, who told him, some tourist or a DNR officer/cop?

Not sure who had told him....but he was staying near a pier that you could view from his room..........

that Mrytle Beach area has not been on my scene for years.........nothin on that drag for sure......

But anyways just a heads up on the surf fishing deal......not much happening in March so maybe your stay will be pleasant............

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.