Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went fishing again with gotchas still no luck with em. I go to pointlook out pier in MD and the blues are like 1 ft long or so usually
1 ft and half maybe
and the gotcha plug im using is the 2 oz ones
which is big

is it too big? for the fish im trying to catch?
is that why or wrong color

i bought a orange head white bod
and red head yellow bod

i ususally fish only at night...

thanks

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Were other people around you catching fish on gotchas ?

If not, the fish might not have been there, if other people were catching on gotchas then get a closer look a the size/color of plug and try what is working for others.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
The only time I have luck with gotcha plugs at night is when the lights under the pier are nice and bright. If he can't see it, he can't bite it. Try during the day.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Were other people around you catching fish on gotchas ?

If not, the fish might not have been there, if other people were catching on gotchas then get a closer look a the size/color of plug and try what is working for others.
In all of the 15 years of my life that i went fishing at point lookout

nobody i know or seen at the rocks and pier used gotcha plugs
and neither does my dad

everybody uses the bottom feeder rig thing
nothing else
no flicler snells no fireball rigs i wanna try it all but my dad just says

fake things and stuff is pointless and the only way to catch fish is throw in cut spot and wait for fish to smell it

so yea i was the only guy looking like a idiot recasting every 10 seconds and shaking his rod up and down...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only time I have luck with gotcha plugs at night is when the lights under the pier are nice and bright. If he can't see it, he can't bite it. Try during the day.
is there glow in the dark i've heard of like purple ones or sometin

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Jeffree

2oz is way too heavy... I may use that for wreck fishing,but for bluefish the size you're talking it's too big,jmo...
Not sure what size my normal gotchas are,maybe an oz?? I would think a 2oz wouldn't have the action the smaller ones would have either... As far as a gotcha being a good lure,imho,it's one of the best for vertical fishing,such as on a jetty, pier, or a boat,night or day...

The colors you're using should work fine.. There are other colors that work well,but I think it's more to do with the action and size of the gotcha you were using. jmo

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks man, no wonder maybe thats why i couldnt catch anything that day, also ppls said since the water there isn't any close to how clear it is at the florida keys, plus i only fish at night. Should i try a 1 oz glow in the dark?

also if its 1 oz dont you think it wouldnt cast far out?

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
thanks man, no wonder maybe thats why i couldnt catch anything that day, also ppls said since the water there isn't any close to how clear it is at the florida keys, plus i only fish at night. Should i try a 1 oz glow in the dark?

also if its 1 oz dont you think it wouldnt cast far out?
If you're fishing at night,yes,try the glow in the dark.. Like I said,not sure what size I have been using.. You'd think after thirty plus yrs of fishing the dern things I'd know that.. :rolleyes: I have no problem casting them.. Usually using a 7' to 9' rod medium action..

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh yea drumdum can you teach me how to properly do the gotcha plug techinque. i dont think i was doing it right

·
Registered
560 Posts
jeffree...

I've been reading your post and observing....now I'm going to let you know.

Gotcha used to and they probably still do make a gotcha plug that fluoreseces when held up to the light as I have done in the past at the Outer Banks.

I know Gotcha made their fluoresecent plugs in green and I pink. I have hammered and I mean caught fish after fish after fish using the green ones, but it helps to hold the lure near to the light so that it will "hold" some of the light in itself and glow somewhat when retrieving it.

My gotchas are I think 7/8 ozs, I know not over 1 oz.

Use 8-12# mono while fishing these and I usually use 10# with a 7ft med, spinning rod with a 4000 series Shimano reel. No swivels of any type, tie directly to lure OR use a 12-18" piece of heavier mono or fluorocarbon of no more than 30#. You are still going to lose some lures because I haven't figured how not to and if you discover how to not lose some Gotchas from the bite offs, then please be the first to let me in on how you do it.:redface::redface::redface:

One last thing, I know that some people have used the smallest single strand wire next to their gotcha. Now I mean maybe a section of say 3-4 inches long, but still the spanish can pretty much see the wire I think especially when you are working the Gotcha from a pier. If your just surf casting from the beach or trolling and really cranking the lure, and I mean really fast, fast then you may could get by with using some short piece of single strand wire. Your biggest mistake that I have read recently above that you stated was your Gotchas are too big and heavy. Just lighten up and work your rod and reel up the slack and try to keep the lure moving with a side to side action and keep it moving non--stop and I bet your hookups will increase.

Reelturner

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks reelturner

last time i went and bought gotchas i was talking to the tackle shop man. I told him what i learned off the forum, and he said
either use mono leader or flourocarbon leader . he said they will both bite off from blues, so he showed me a black wire leader with a black swivel.

connect the main line to the swivel and then wire...and then one of those things that holds the bottom rig weights. Which u clip onto the gotcha plug. I asked him wouldnt that ruin it?
he said it should be fine cause alot of wiggle room...And with that i bought 2 gotchas 2 oz and 2 leaders...

screwed myself over and like 15 bucks...

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Thanks reelturner

last time i went and bought gotchas i was talking to the tackle shop man. I told him what i learned off the forum, and he said
either use mono leader or flourocarbon leader . he said they will both bite off from blues, so he showed me a black wire leader with a black swivel.

connect the main line to the swivel and then wire...and then one of those things that holds the bottom rig weights. Which u clip onto the gotcha plug. I asked him wouldnt that ruin it?
he said it should be fine cause alot of wiggle room...And with that i bought 2 gotchas 2 oz and 2 leaders...

Sure, a bluefish is capable of biting off the mono leader, but I usually have no problems with a 12-14 inch 30# mono leader tied directly to my line with a uni to uni knot. With the wire leader I've had no luck. The fish seem to be able to see it, or it messes up the action of the lure. What tackle shop do you go to so I can make sure I don't go there?? The snap swivel you use at the end of the leader to attach your plug may give the plug a little room to move around. That would be fine if you were pulling some kind of crank bait, but it has nothing to do with the way a gotcha plug works. The gotcha is made to be worked with fast jerking motions. In other words, jerk it, while you're reeling in you excess line, the lure sinks a bit, then you jerk it again. It works several feet of the water column. The guy at your tackle shop must think the gotcha plugs just jiggle side to side like a crank bait. He is wrong. In my opinion the wire leader, and or snap swivel, has an extremely negative effect on the presentation of the plug. You will have a much better chance with the mono leader, or just tying the plug straight to your line. Several of us have tried to explain that to you before, but the only way to really learn something like that is by having somebody show you first hand. Hope this helps buddy. Good luck and tight lines.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Then you would just loose gotcha after gotcha cause i think blues would bite through those flouro leaders.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Jeffree
just tie your gotcha on the end of 8-12 # mono like Reelturner said. Cast, hold your rod over the side of the pier with the tip pointed down, reel fairly fast and jerk your rod about 18 inches with each turn of the handle. Adjust speed of retrive untill you find out wheather they want it near the top , middle or bottom of the water column.
For the surf tie on a stingsilver and crank fast, no other action needed

·
Registered
560 Posts
jeffree...

Thanks reelturner

You are going to lose some gotchas plugs just like you said.......BUT

had you rather not just lose some of them to the toothy spainardsss....than to give someone money for 2ozs/ two leaders??

Not intention of myself to be harsh about this but lighten up on the gotchas,go down in line size if your using heavier mono, tie a good uni knot or just tie directly to your gotcha plug, point the rod down as dawgfsh said and you will start catching more blues than you have before. And you are going to lose some lures, just be consciencously mindful when purchasing them and when you get a good or better cost on then get yourself a dozen and stock yourself up.

Let us know how you do and if you catch more blues or spanish WHEN fishing around some other anglers that are fishing somewhat different techniques than you, observe, and observe and take note.

Reelturner

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thing is nobody uses gotcha plugs...
so i cant learn anything i can just read from forums, librarys have nothing, youtube has nothing, google has barely.

Also, if i try to catch blues without a wire, it bites off everysingle time...everysingle time...
so im not gonna use mono, id rather not waste 3 bucks again and again and again...

also my dad wont let me buy anymore, Cause my dad is the type who thinks fake stuff is stupid...And im trying to catch fish with gotchas and try a diff way.

So continual bite off will just make my dad pissed and he would tell me everybody on the forum telling me to use mono leaders is a dumbass...I would never be able to use a fake lure in my life until im out of his house.

·
Registered
269 Posts
GOsh darnit DAMNIT
i wish someone would just come fishing with me, and teach me something. But everybody who uses fake lures live in the South or the North and none in VA unless they are boaters.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay ill try and get through to my dad, he doesnt give much chances.

oh yea and reel turner could u give me some color suggestions, FOR THE NIGHT... no moon light...and dim pier lights...

i only know of 1 so far

glow in the dark

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
GOD DAMNIT
i wish someone would just come fishing with me, and teach me something. But everybody who uses fake lures live in the South or the North and none in VA unless they are boaters.
You're getting frustrated to easy. I live in Virginia. I've been throwing gotcha plugs in these waters and on the outer banks since i was twelve, that was 14 years ago. I can assure you that if the little blues we get off the piers here are biting you off over and over again, it's not your line, it's probabley your not. When I was a youngster I used to fish avalon with only 6lb test with the gotcha plug tied right to the line. I caught a ton of taylor blues and a few small spanish with that same set up. Sure, I got bit off with that lite of line, but even with just 6 lb test I didn't get bit off every time. Hell, never mind every time, I didn't even get bit off every day. Now I use 14 lb test with 30 lb mono leader. I've rarely been bit off with that set up. In Va. we don't have the big chomper blues like we used to have. You'll be fine with that set up, I assure you. Biggest blue I've ever caught in Va. may have made 4 or 5 pounds soak and wet. The big chomper blues just aren't here like they were in the 80's. Maybe me or one of the other guys should make a video and post it up here, "how to throw a gotcha plug". I'll be fishing the LIP early next week if you're out that way. Any of the guys on our two beach piers would be happy to show you how to throw a gotcha plug, and their definitely throwing them out there. By the way, what pier are you fishing? I don't think you've mentioned that. The bluefish bite might not even be there. Good luck.

On a different note, as far as the whole wire leader to gotcha, vs snap swivel to gotcha, vs mono leader to gotcha thing, I think they should take all three teqniques and toss gotchas in one of those tanks at bass pro. It would be interesting to me to see how different the actual action of the plug is in the tank.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts